Scoring saw

I have an older SC# 12" sliding table saw (a real gloat from 2-3 years ago), but the scoring saw has never worked. I have the chance to fix the score saw for about $80 but it's not clear that I would ever actually use it.
My work is mainly poplar/cherry walnut and hardwood veneer panels. I have never used melamine faced panels where I know the score saw would make a difference.
Does a scoring saw significantly improve edges on veneered goods?
TIA
Merle
[snip]

I get stuck having to cut oak veneered particle board panels the odd time. On the cross cut, the scoring blade makes a big difference. This saw is running all day cutting casework melamine, and the sawyer keeps it tuned. No visible shoulder from the scoring blade. But this guy puts a newly sharpened stack of scoring blades in every 2 weeks or so. It is a 12" SCM sliding table as well.

It especially does on cross grain cuts. Alternatively you can make your first pass with a good blade set at about 1/8" up from the table top and then raise the blade to cut all the way through and make your second cut.