Saw blade charpening

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:19:06 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Apparently you paid little attention to our previous dialog about the proper blade for a given saw...
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I dismissed it as the ravings of a lunatic.
*snip*

That was an exercise for the reader.

My thought process in writing that was poorly sharpening a blade could get it out of balance and at 3400 RPM the imbalance would be hard on the bearings. Thinking about it a little more now, the amounts needed to get to a dangerous imbalance would probably be quite large and unlikely to be removed from the whole of the saw blade and not just one location. Plus, at that speed the imbalance would tend to average out and not be noticed by either operator or saw.
Puckdropper
SBH wrote:

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/07/31/diy-carbide-saw-blade-sharpening-4-blade-sharpening-services / http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/saw-sharpener /

When I lived in Houston, I had my TS blades sharpened at Circle Saw. I've since moved to Florida and the town I live in is too small to support a sharpening service on it own. I now drop them off at my hard wood supplier who acts as a collection point for a sharpener who picks up and re-delivers the blades on a weekly schedule. If you use your blades every day you will need spare blades to tide you over. I definitely agree you should try out any new sharpener with one blade to see if you pleased with his work.
Joe G
SBH wrote:

I send all my blades (dado, tablesaw & chopsaw) to Forrest:
Forrest Manufacturing 457 River Road Clifton, NJ 07014
They do a great job sharpening and can repair/replace damaged/missing carbide tips.

I sent mine to Ridge Carbide Tool. Google them and you'll find the pricing and so forth. I was ready to trash the DeWalt blade that came with my miter saw after it was used to cut lots of laminate flooring. I lent it to someone figuring I'd just upgrade to a Ridge blade when he was done. Instead, I sent it along with a couple of other blades. It came back better than when it was new. Some things are best left to the pro.

I bought the HF unit and am reasonably happy with it. I sharpen my hand saws, my chisels, my hand plane blades and found that this was not much different. Like most sharpening, you don't need to take off much steel to get a good cutting edge. I would hesitate to sharpen my most expensive blades myself but I have a few blades sitting around that I use for suspect wood that might have nailes etc. I also like the idea that I can tinker with the shape of the teeth to optimize them for certain cuts. I recommend getting a book on sharpening such as Leonard Lees book. On the other hand, if I were doing production work and focused on the bottom line, I would buy new blades or use a professional sharpening service. Since I am a recreational woodworker, I find it fun to tinker with the blades.
Just got my blades back from Forrest. What a difference - they're like new. Did some test cuts and I'm very satisfied. Took them ~ 1 week to process them. They call to get permission to replace tips as needed. Have them do test cuts and tip replacements. I believe you'll be pleased. Not a troll - just a satisfied customer.