Santa Monica, CA

I will be spending a week in Santa Monica and should have some spare time on my hands. Are there any worthwhile WW places to visit?
TW
Austin Hardwoods, Santa Ana. Ask to see the owners collection of old planes. John
Well that sounds great but its about a 60 mile drive!

waaaaaaaaah

Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

"Quadindad2" writes:

Let's see, Santa Monica to Santa Ana, that's about 50-60 miles one way.
No matter what time of day you try, allow at least 2 hours driving time, each way.
--
Lew

forth from the murky depths:

Definitely get yourself over to Gamble House in Pasadena while you're there. Greene and Greene built it. http://www.gamblehouse.org /
P.S: Take diapers. You'll soil yourself when you see the work.
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Where's the "Spruce Goose" these days? Long Beach? Lotta' wwod in that puppy.
-JBB

"J.B. Bobbitt" writes:

Moved it up to Oregon a few years ago.
From what I hear, the building that housed it is now a sound stage for the motion picture industry.
--
Lew

Lotsa wood, but little if any spruce as I recall.
As Lou mentioned it was moved to McMinnville, Oregon (45mi +/- SW of Portland) a while back. It's now in an aviation museum run by Evergreen Aviation in memory of the founder's son. There are dozens of notable aircraft, both miliary and civilian, in the museum as well. Just this year (or maybe it was last year), the museum obtained an SR-71, trucked it up I-5 and after some resto, it too will go on display. Quite an impressive assembleage of aircraft.

My apologies Lew.
What are you looking for? For tools, lumber, galleries?
My ususal source of lumber is the House of Hardwoods at 2143 Pontius Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90025, (310) 479-4196, just east of Santa Monica.
For tools I like Westwood Power Tools at 4824 South Sepulveda Bl, Culver City, CA 90230, (310) 837-1231, which, depite its name has a decent selection of hand tools and a great library to choose from.
To see woodworking, check out the Del Mano Gallery at 11981 San Vicente Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90049, (310) 476-8508, just on the northern border of Santa Monica. It's been a couple years since I've been there but they always had some interesting turnings and small decorative boxes.
And if it's still up, there's a terrific show at the Getty Museum at 200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049, (310) 440-7330, not far from Santa Monica, on 18th century furniture making techniques.

I agree with Ian, I would definitely suggest the Getty Museum. Hey Ian, I did not realize you were relatively local to me. Hope those pics helped you out with your Purpleheart project. Kevin

I lived there for years. Fabulous area!! I would heartily second the recommendation to see the Gamble House. I can't think of better place for a woodworker to blow his mind. Maybe there is a tour out there, so you don't have to drive. I've heard the traffic in LA has gotten a lot worse since I left in 1987. Even then the drive from Santa Monica to Pasadena could be a challenge, even for a local.
There are also a couple of nice Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the LA area. I think you can visit them. I believe there is one in Mailbu, which isn't far from Santa Monica.
Have a great time!
Tin Woodsmn wrote:

Thanks to all. The places to visit are all welcomed.
TW

Is that fellow with the old tools store still in Santa Monica? He used to have some really great stuff!