Santa Monica, CA

I will be spending a week in Santa Monica and should have some spare time on my hands. Are there any worthwhile WW places to visit?

TW

Reply to
Tin Woodsmn

Austin Hardwoods, Santa Ana. Ask to see the owners collection of old planes. John

Reply to
Quadindad2

Well that sounds great but its about a 60 mile drive!

Reply to
yobosaeyo

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:13:50 GMT, "Tin Woodsmn" brought forth from the murky depths:

Definitely get yourself over to Gamble House in Pasadena while you're there. Greene and Greene built it.

Take diapers. You'll soil yourself when you see the work.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Let's see, Santa Monica to Santa Ana, that's about 50-60 miles one way.

No matter what time of day you try, allow at least 2 hours driving time, each way.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Where's the "Spruce Goose" these days? Long Beach? Lotta' wwod in that puppy.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

waaaaaaaaah

Reply to
Quadindad2

What are you looking for? For tools, lumber, galleries?

My ususal source of lumber is the House of Hardwoods at 2143 Pontius Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90025, (310) 479-4196, just east of Santa Monica.

For tools I like Westwood Power Tools at 4824 South Sepulveda Bl, Culver City, CA 90230, (310) 837-1231, which, depite its name has a decent selection of hand tools and a great library to choose from.

To see woodworking, check out the Del Mano Gallery at 11981 San Vicente Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90049, (310) 476-8508, just on the northern border of Santa Monica. It's been a couple years since I've been there but they always had some interesting turnings and small decorative boxes.

And if it's still up, there's a terrific show at the Getty Museum at

200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049, (310) 440-7330, not far from Santa Monica, on 18th century furniture making techniques.
Reply to
Ian Dodd

I agree with Ian, I would definitely suggest the Getty Museum. Hey Ian, I did not realize you were relatively local to me. Hope those pics helped you out with your Purpleheart project. Kevin

Reply to
yobosaeyo

Moved it up to Oregon a few years ago.

From what I hear, the building that housed it is now a sound stage for the motion picture industry.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lotsa wood, but little if any spruce as I recall.

As Lou mentioned it was moved to McMinnville, Oregon (45mi +/- SW of Portland) a while back. It's now in an aviation museum run by Evergreen Aviation in memory of the founder's son. There are dozens of notable aircraft, both miliary and civilian, in the museum as well. Just this year (or maybe it was last year), the museum obtained an SR-71, trucked it up I-5 and after some resto, it too will go on display. Quite an impressive assembleage of aircraft.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

My apologies Lew.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I lived there for years. Fabulous area!! I would heartily second the recommendation to see the Gamble House. I can't think of better place for a woodworker to blow his mind. Maybe there is a tour out there, so you don't have to drive. I've heard the traffic in LA has gotten a lot worse since I left in 1987. Even then the drive from Santa Monica to Pasadena could be a challenge, even for a local.

There are also a couple of nice Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the LA area. I think you can visit them. I believe there is one in Mailbu, which isn't far from Santa Monica.

Have a great time!

T> I will be spending a week in Santa Monica and should have some spare time on

Reply to
WCD

Everything in Southern California is a 60 mile drive!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thanks to all. The places to visit are all welcomed.

TW

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

Is that fellow with the old tools store still in Santa Monica? He used to have some really great stuff!

Reply to
Jimlemon