Sandpaper

Page 2 of 2

The OP couldn't be bothered to give any helpful information either..i.e.
What is he sanding? To what level of finish? Is he an amateur looking for a 5-pack of sheets? Is he looking for 1000 lots of discs that fit his 8" Fein?
His request is somewhat like : "what is the price of a car."
I try to be helpful when I can, but I suck at mind-reading.... I don't even know what country he's in!
other than that, most of your points are well taken.

OK. Most of my needs center around producing a fine finish on cherry furniture. This includes a variety of operations such as sanding on the lathe, removing material as with a random orbit sander (adhesive backed 6" disks). Hand sanding.
And I've got a belt sander that gets some use as well as smaller 1/4 sheet and 1/3 sheet oscillating sanders.
As I've never had a problem with sandpaper going bad, I like to buy in "bulk" of 100 - 250 pieces of a particular grit.
I prefer aluminum oxide but am open to suggestions. I ocasionally use automotive wet/dry silicon carbide for a variety of uses including sharpening, leveling varnish on a large surface (using mineral spirits as a lubricant)
While I'm an amateur, I am an advanced amateur concentrating on heirloom quality furniture. And yes, I do utilize a scraper when it is appropriate but find that "sand"paper is most useful.
As far as my country, I'm in the good old USA in northwestern New Hampshire. I have a fully equipped shop. I have been teaching at a local college since retiring from the venture capital business and will be again fully retired after this school year.
Hope this makes it easier to answer my original question!

On Sep 25, 2:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

For that. Norton 3X works great.

I use EA Blue belts. They don't go over 120 grit, so....

As do I.Klingspor is my favourite and buy it from Specialtytools.com. For the bulk of my trade (solid surface fabrication) I buy Mirka Abranet exclusively. Where? I'm in Canada, so I buy from Justintimefactroysupplies.com.

I also use a LOT of 3M handpads...like ScotchBrite in different grades.
On Sep 25, 2:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I can remove material faster and just as cleanly with my 30 year old Craftsman 3 x 21 belt sander as with an ROS -- and no swirlies to show up too late, after the third finish coat. Only place the ROS shines is when rubbing out between coats using Scotchbrite pads. Slap a gray pad onto the velcro base, and it'll scuff out a 30 x 60 desktop in two minutes.

Everything gets scraped or planed here except paints and varnishes -- even here, scrapers are useful for knocking down runs. 220 is the usual "starting" grit.

Robatoy wrote:

When that information is missing, I (rightly or wrongly) assume a beginner because 1) a pro woodworker won't need to ask the question and 2) a regular poster would know better than to ask such a skimpy question.
The best advice I can give him is to stay away from the Harbor Freight 'sandpaper'. Almost any paper from almost any vendor will be better than that. Their silicon carbide paper is somewhat better than their sandpaper, but still nothing to right home about. "Good enough" in the sense that MS Windrows is 'good enough'.
Hey OP ... whatcha sanding?
Bill
Tue, Sep 25, 2007, 2:25pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Andy) doth goeth:. Wow - at least your reply wasn't insulting like JT's, but it wasn't the least bit helpful either! Sorry to sound like a parent, but seriously, if you don't have anything helpful to say, why do you post? Sure anyone could find 10 million google hits for "sandpaper", but this OP asked about a "GOOD SOURCE". So he/she is looking for an OPINION, <snip>
OK then, here's an OPINION. A good source for sandpaper is the Ace Hardware local to me. Or, if that doesn't cut it, Loop Road Auto Parts should be able to do the job. Otherwise, the guy should google. Another opinion is, let the OP bitch on his own, if he feels the need. Now get an opinion from Robatoy.
Now, this is a really helpful suggestion.
Thank you sooo much.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It's usenet--what would you expect? :)
But, as another posted, you didn't help a lot in posing the question of who (if any) you have tried, what purpose(s)/volume/etc., to aid in the narrowing of choices...
But, the thing is w/ usenet, you posts your question and takes your chances. Who knows what will set somebody off? Impossible to predict, and the same person who snips or barks one day may be feeling expansive the next, and vice versa...

I'm insulted by your lack of insult!

Probably should have included this:
;-)

You have objections to out-sults, then?
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:09:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You can get Mirka (my favorite) from Homestead Finishing, Amazon, Western Tool, and possibly Highland Hardware. Klingspoor also makes excellent abrasives and sells direct.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:aq9gf3p3cnivs70vb4et0uinct9le4cccm@ 4ax.com:

I've used Klingspor - excellent results good selection. www.klingspor.com