Tool Mechanic Needed

I posted this query once before and nearly got laughed off the board. I have my best sense of humor intact and a flame retardant apron... here goes:

I need a mechanic who will come to my shop to deal with a couple of problems. My jointer jammed, and I really don't have time to deal with it. All tool repair facilities in my area require that the tool be dropped off. It's just a little heavy to do that.

If any of you kind woodworkers know where I can find someone who will do this in Southern California, please let me know. I'm very near Long Beach.

Kind regards, Kathy Wingert

kathy

charlie

Kathy:

Two places you might want to consider posting your request at: Shopsmith magazine's forum's site:

Mill Creek:
places you need to register to post a message. Post in the Power Tools sections.

Just be sure to mention (specifically and explicitly, BTW) that you are a guitar maker / musician seeking a knowledgeable woodworker with woodworking machines background to assist in your disagreement with your machines. It is the safety issue of trying to repair something you don't have enough knowledge about and don't want to proceed blindly when body parts are at risk. As a Luthier, finger tips are very important.

As from your post, I gather that you have been taken to task previously for owning and using machines that you don't seem to be able to repair. That is a big no-no to most woodworkers, as you may have found out. However, the point is you are a luthier, not a millwright. And please be clear if you are talking about a hired machine tool consultant / technician or someone to teach you and your helpers (if any) on the maintenance of the tool that is now dysfunctional.

When you post, be sure to include maker and model of tool that is not functional. It does make a difference on the pool of people who may be able to help. Some huge 80 year old, 3 phase motor monster of a Jointer is not the same as a craftsman bench top jointer model. The 1st case there are only a limited number of people who have the knowledge and tools to help you.

Just my input.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

for warranty work. Although most would rather have the tool brought in to their ASC, when there is a problem on a heavy tool during warranty which is usually right at initial purchase, they will make house calls, particularly to make a sale stick. If you get a ist of the Authorized Service Centers for the brand you have, (usually in your manual) you may be able to call and find the house call guy and get him to do a "moonlight" visit.

Beautiful guitars, BTW.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Talk to Jack at Battles Hardware in Whittier.

He has a lot of contacts.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Pat

Reply to
kathy

Kathy,

Suggest you might want to search around for your local woodworker's club. I would have to think that there is one nearby Long Beach. They might have woodworkers who can do this type of work. It might cost you, but if your time is more valuable building instruments, than fixing or aligning joiners, tablesaws, etc. than it would be worth it.

Posting here would only delay that local search, tho I did read where you got one good reference.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Mon, Sep 24, 2007, 6:03pm snipped-for-privacy@not-want-spam.net (Phil-In-Mich.) As from your post, I gather that you have been taken to task previously for owning and using machines that you don't seem to be able to repair. That is a big no-no to most woodworkers, as you may have found out.

ROTFLMAO Hell, there're people here who have trouble turning 'on' their machines, let alone repair them. My impression was time was her major problem, not ability. If ability to repair your own machines was a requirement for being a woodworker, there might be a dozen people here.

I can probably fix most things that go wrong with my machines, at least have so far. Part of my fun. However, my income does not come from them; if it did, I'd be open to buying a new one, or hire someone to work on it, rather than to fiddle with it myself. Or, at least fiddle with it in my spare time, 'after' I had already bought a working replacement; could always sell it later, or keep it as a spare.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Reply to
kathy

wrote

Judging from the obvious quality/beauty of your work, there should be an elegant sufficiency of the latter to tide you over the rough spot! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Kathy, if you lived near Detroit, I'd be glad to help. Possibly there is a woodworking club nearby with a pool of talented folks who could lend a hand in return for a token of your appreciation printed by the US Treasury.

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Tue, Sep 25, 2007, 11:31am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@wingertguitars.com doth sayeth: we're all naked

Really? Nakid? Wow. That kinda kills my thought of acking you what you're wearing. LMAO