sanding curved pieces??

hello everybody,
I am enjoying my new favourite toy , a cheap but so far excellent bands saw. The question is how do i sand all those nice curved pieces that i created so far I am using foam sanding pad and handheld sand paper but it is becoming hard, especially in places where i have to sand harder to cover some mistakes. Is there any other way, like using wire or sanding atachment to power drill (I just bend my sanding tube by trying to run it in my router .. not a good idea!!!).
thanks as usually
pawel

I use this :
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid%8
In the drill press.
Router?? Argggh!
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
Pawel wrote:

The only thing you ought to be sticking into a router are router bits. A few weeks ago I posted an article about some unthinking dope that was KILLED by a tool that came apart when he stuck it in his router. Routers spin at incredibly high speeds and demand bits expressly made for that speed.
At any rate, there are a few power tool options for sanding curves... a drill press attachment you know about. Here are a few more options...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?keyU0001
Joe Barta
I know it was STUPID, my only defence was that the sanding thingie had it written on the manual that speed should not be above 27,000 rpm and then i though thet it is not accident that the size is exactly 1/4 inch. But luckily no one got hurt and I learned a lesson.
pawel

Pawel wrote:

An Oscillating spindle sander works well.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Finally, an idea to make sanding enjoyable! If only...

Could use sanding drums with a rotory tool....
You forgot the most important accessory. The oscillating spindle sander. Or, if you want to be cheap like me, sanding drum in the drill press.

Pawel (in dtthtn$6kd$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wss.yale.edu) said:
| hello everybody, | | I am enjoying my new favourite toy , a cheap but so far excellent | bands saw. The question is how do i sand all those nice curved | pieces that i created so far I am using foam sanding pad and | handheld sand paper but it is becoming hard, especially in places | where i have to sand harder to cover some mistakes. | Is there any other way, like using wire or sanding atachment to | power drill (I just bend my sanding tube by trying to run it in my | router .. not a good idea!!!).
One of the items in the "accessory pack" for my old Craftsman 12" bandsaw was a sanding platen. It allows replacing the bandsaw blade with a sanding belt. I found that it did a fairly good job on bandsawn curves if I used a belt of the same (or less) width as the blade with which I'd cut the curve...

A spindle sander works great. You can also use sanding drums chucked in a drill press, although not as good as a spindle sander because the spindle sander slowly moves the spindle up and down.

Until I got my Oscillating spindle sander I wrapped Pressure Sensitive Adhesive, PSA sand paper around different sized dowel pins and hand sanded.

Oscillating Spindle Sander is what you are looking for. Something like this: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sherwoodOS-100.htm
Dean