safty switch madness

Page 2 of 2
ummm, mechanical ... yep.... I think dpb is absolutely right. I did look at the remote control options and, well, useless in case of mag switches. it looks like i would have to either move the mag switch or perhaps relocate/rearrange the shop a little, yeah the exercise boots don't seem so bad either.
thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated.
cheers al
Al wrote:

al make a lean to on the outside of your shop and put the dc in there. run a wire to the dc with the switch on from your shop ,if you have any problems with the dc you can easily put the switch back on. frank
ummm, mechanical ... yep.... I think dpb is absolutely right. I did look at the remote control options and, well, useless in case of mag switches. it looks like i would have to either move the mag switch or perhaps relocate/rearrange the shop a little, yeah the exercise boots don't seem so bad either.
thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated.
cheers al
Al,
In spite of what others have said, it's quite easy to add a radio control to your dust collector. When it turns on it would apply power to the coil of the mag switch and start the collector. It's also quite easy to add additional remote start/stop buttons and you could put them in convenient places all over your shop. A 3 conductor cable is all that is necessary to run between them and the mag switch and the cable can run from one switch to the next and then to the next, etc. In my former life I was an automation engineer (EE) and this is a very simple circuit that any electrician should be able to handle. I suggested the radio control so you wouldn't need to run the extra wiring. Do which ever one suites your shop best.
Charley

at
so

What do you mean by "magnetic switch" ? A cheap one that needs to be physically pressed to turn it on, or a proper contactor that's a relay with a hold-in circuit ?
Dust collectors are ideally supplied through a proper contactor, because it makes it easy to switch them on remotely (possibly from several locations) with an easily added parallel push button circuit (although remember you're still wiring a mains voltage circuit here, and it needs to be wired as such!)
I can get low HP contactors very cheaply from industrial scrap (big lighting circuits). They're not enough to run a big sawbench motor and they don't have the overload protection I'd want on a machine that might be overloaded during a cut, but they're fine for a 1HP dust collector.