Safety-Guard SACRILEGE.

Page 2 of 4

Maybe the "drunk" was a good looking blonde and the driver kept looking in the back seat?
Add pictures here
✖

I think the point was that (according to mdavenport, anyway) MADD counts as a teen-alcohol-related accident even cases in which there was a drunk passenger in the car *not* driven by the teen.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/28/11 10:54 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Which is incredibly stupid, as they were obviously doing the right thing.
--
Froz...

✖
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:54:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

THANK YOU!!!!!
That is exactly what I was referring to
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 28, 10:54 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I do believe you're the first person mentioning the drunk is passed out.

I, for one, am shocked, shocked I tell you!, that someone would figure their statistics differently than someone else. I've never heard of such a thing and think it's probably an urban myth.
✖
wrote in message

Without knowing how much of an adjustment it's kind of pointless, what if it's .05%?

Their shift to being almost a temperance organization is what caused the group's founder to leave. They've become one of those self-contained bureaucracy-religions that serves itself more than a public need. They absorb a lot of the money they raise too and get poor grades from organizations that rate the efficiency of charities. Too bad, they did good work once upon a time.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:02:37 -0800, "DGDevin"

And that is exactly WHY the "data" can be misleading...they give no room for margin of error, nor do they even acknowledge that there IS a margin for error...They use anecdotal "evidence" as proof, so long as it fits what they are trying to prove.
As the old saying goes, figures don't lie...but liars can figure
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/23/2011 3:36 PM, DGDevin wrote:

You proved my point ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yeah, that reminds me of the time when I dropped the tablesaw on my foot. The hospital gave me a crutch and called the sore foot a table saw injury. :)
Add pictures here
✖

31.5k/yr is too many, for sure.
Look at how many people unnecessarily go to the hospital when a simple bandage would do the trick. That alone drives up insurance rates.

And look at the number of simple falls people make each year is way above that number. No tools necessary:
Older adults - 2.2 million non-fatal injury falls, 18k of those fatal. http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Falls/adultfalls.html
One tool necessary: In 1996 there were 18,900,000 US auto accidents. http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/1045_age_of_driver_and_number_in.html
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
Add pictures here
✖
On 2011-01-23 22:04:29 -0500, Larry Jaques

And look at those who don't make the trip, figuring (incorrectly) that the simple bandage would do the trick. Maybe they get lucky... and the injury "sort of" heals. Result, a body part that "sort of" works, but not at peak condition. Or perhaps an advanced surgical repair is needed to correct the original damage PLUS the damage done by not attending properly to the injury in the first place.
Now who's run up the insurance rates, hah?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:44:21 -0500, Steve

You're right. I was considering only the semi-intelligent people. There are far too many otherwise out there for it to be profitable. But every little bit helps when you're $13T in debt and have massive deficits adding to it each year...
-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva
Add pictures here
✖
On 01/25/2011 10:04 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You're a trillion too late:
http://www.usdebtclock.org /
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:19:44 -0700, Doug Winterburn

Holy Fing S, Batman! Did anyone catch the Fake of the Union last night? What wasn't rhetoric was sucking up. 90/10?
-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva
Add pictures here
✖

Everybody is semi-intelligent.
✖
Larry Jaques wrote:

You are now qualified to make a medical diagnosis I see.
When did you recieve your med school degree?
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:11:17 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Hell, boy. I was teaching braille anatomy way back in high school. <wink>
-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva
Add pictures here
✖

My question is if 31,500 went to the ER, what did the other 534,170 (estimated) people do (assuming one injury each!) and how did the study know how to estimate it with that degree of accuracy?
I've injured myself a whole bunch of times on jobs with 'only' two visits to the ER, and I never reported the other times to anyone. Am I in trouble?
✖

I think you missed the point: 565,670 injuries in an 18-year period is (approximately) 31,500 *per year*.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 23, 9:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Right. Doh!