Safari

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

don't forget to delete the cache if you need to see changes.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Yeah, bet you think your excrement smells of roses too.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No. Shit stinks and so does windows.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Smells a lot better than rotten Apples.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Microsoft IE is proprietary.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

So you are making up facts, and then arguing against these "facts"?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Well, except that that "balanced argument" shows that the author doesn't know Windows all that well.

"Wine makes it possible to take advantage of all the Unix strong points (stability, flexibility, remote administration) while still using the Windows applications you depend on."

I'm not going to comment on "stability", which is a hot button for a lot of people, or "flexibility" which is a matter of opinion, but Windows has had remote administration for more than a decade now.

"Wine makes it possible to access Windows applications remotely, even if they are a few thousand miles away."

While this may be true you can do it with out of the box Windows too, so it is not a "benefit" of WINE.

"Wine makes it economical to use thin clients: simply install Wine on a Linux server, and voila, you can access these Windows applications from any X terminal."

I can access Windows applications from Linux boxes without WINE so again it's hardly a "benefit".

"Wine can also be used to make existing Windows applications available on the Web by using VNC and its Java client."

That can also be done with Windows without using WINE.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So what? The OS it runs on is not proprietary to a single hardware vendor and has more than 80 percent of the market, so for every application that runs on the niche market proprietary crap there are 8 that run on Windows. Not that it needs yet another boring browser but people seem to enjoy writing them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Why mention that there are dozens if you don't need dozens?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Oh. So I should not run Microsoft IE, and instead use some standard OS like Linux?

Okay - Your point is MUCH clearer now.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Why do YOU mention: ">The OS it runs on is not proprietary to a single hardware

By Clarke's logic 'dozens of Mac browsers x 8 =3D a couple of hundred browsers that run on Windoze?

I think you are lying, John.

Reply to
Robatoy

To quote your own words.

"so for every application that runs on the niche market proprietary crap there are 8 that run on Windows."

So apparently Windows needs 8 times the number of applications that MacOS needs.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Do you always give 110%? ;-)

Politics has nothing to do with it, utility and quality have everything to do with it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

and I'm wondering whose shoes will be filled up first...

Reply to
jo4hn

Do you honestly believe that having 80 percent of the market means it's better? All it means is that it's more marketable.

Kenye West sold millions of records this year. Does that make him "better" than Tony Bennett?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Why have 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins, when you only need one?

Reply to
-MIKE-

10% overlap. Not everyone is so pure in their beliefs. MS enjoys much deeper market penetration such that it becomes remarkable, for example, to note when someone is *not* using Windows on their desktop. That's a simple fact.

"Standard", as in ubiquitous, as opposed to "proprietary". Proprietary hardware didn't do so well. Witness Sun OpenSPARC, their open source hardware core, apparently a last gasp seeking relevance for their processors. Mac dumped proprietary hardware and interfaces to become what it is today, just another PC clone with minor benefits and differences.

It is and has long been politically incorrect to slam the underdog, just as we have the Special Olympics. At some point, though, products have to reach their own maturity and be counted on their merits. I think it's fair to say that both the Mac and Linux are now mature products. There is no more "wait and see". They are what they are, and if you're into counting, they're the "also rans", the best of the rest. I didn't decide this, nor did Bill Gates. The market has voted and Wintel won by a landslide. For whatever those merits might be.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Huh? I'm sorry but you people are making no sense at all.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nope, Windows has 8 times the number of bored programmers looking for something to do. Besides, writing a browser is a student exercise.

Reply to
J. Clarke