Anyone figure out how to block robocalls?

On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it more difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't have any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Reply to
KenK

Get a phone or a caller ID box that has a call block feature. Then enter robo call numbers as you get them.

This one is great for older folks with reduced hearing:

The answering machine is my first line of defense. Robo callers usually hang up on the machine.

Reply to
gfretwell

Landline! LOL

What a f****ng idiot!!

Reply to
Tele Tubby

My phone company offer Nomorobo for free. It catches most of them on one ring.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If your phone is through the internet VOIP it may have the same features as mine. I have Spectrum and you can get on the internet and tell it to block known robots. My phone will ring once and quit on those.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Bingo. That is where I would start. And if his current VOIP service doesn't have decent blocking, he could switch to another VOIP. Ooma, for example is low cost and has an array of call blocking, both custom where you enter numbers and known robo call list based.

Reply to
trader_4

My wife was doing that and accidentally blocked a client of mine. Robo callers keep munging their numbers. I've even had calls from myself.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I found it almost useless, except for blocking legitimate calls. The junk callers change numbers too often. What I really needed was a device with a whitelist, that blocks all numbers except those I want.

I now get one ring only on my home phone except for calls I want.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Usually. I do get a few that leave messages usually those that don't care. The first of the message will be cut off (the idiot doesn't care to wait for the beep). For example "...ess 4 to speak to an operator (long pause since the idiot doen't care this is a machine)"

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

One important advantage with a landline is you get NAME on the caller ID. This has allowed me to recognize most of the calls I didn't want to answer like:

  1. UR POLICE ASS
  2. AUSTIN TX
  3. BREASTCANCER
  4. TOLL FREE CALL
  5. SURVEY
  6. EASTER SEALS
  7. DENVER CO
  8. IRM INC

#1 is a charity or scam, #3 probably is too

#6 is a real charity, probably trying to treat me like an ATM. My answer will be NO.

#2, #4, and #7 are almost certainly junk calls

#5 may actually be that. I'm still not interested

#8 meaningless letters, probably junk too. I'll answer if I'm familiar with such a company

Note that #1 was probably abbreviated to fit short CID displays

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Doesn't that block numbers that have already been reported? That'd miss a lot since the junk callers keep spoofing different numbers.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I've had those too. When I'm out I get a call on my cellphone that claims to come from my home phone. That bot does leave voicemail, which seems to be a poor attempt to trick me into thinking I just called voicemail. The fake voicemail sounds drunk.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

There's no help for it. Sorry.

Reply to
Vic Smith

My phone through Spectrum can be set for this.

Limit incoming calls to people whose numbers you specify and route all other incoming calls ? except Blocked Callers ? to your voicemail.

I never check voice mail.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Catches about 80% or more. Not perfect, but helps. And it was free.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That'll work, although with Spectrum doing it you won't know the callers you want but didn't expect (like your doctor calling from a number you didn't know he had). With what I have, I at least get to look at the caller ID after that one ring.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have Spectrum also and just use the free NoMoRobo they offer. I see the caller ID. My doctor gets through.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Besides, how will you ever know Microsoft has discovered a virus on your machine? ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Kill your Phone!

I have phone via the Internet via BasicTalk and a cheap flip phone IF and WHEN I need a mobile VOICE phone!

And I also Killed My Television years ago! BOOM! Gone! And I don't MISS IT!

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe