Safari

Page 1 of 5
Wow!
If I can figure out how to set up a decent home page on Safari, I'm switching today.
It makes Firefox look like a turd in a soup bowl, and I've never liked Opera.
This is the first decent wreck view I've had in several years.
I knew there had to be some advantage to sitting around recuperating after surgery.

Glad you are recuperating, Charlie! I hope all will go well, speedily, and, especially, as painlessly as possible.
Can you please refresh my memory and tell us the nature of the surgery (so we canbetter empathize (sp)?
Then, what OS are you using for safari? Have you tried Chrome? I haven't switched to chrome because roboform doesn't run under it, but otehrwise would have done so in a snap.
Heal!!
--
Best regards
Han

Cryosurgery for prostate cancer. One of the joys of the aging male. This one is fun, fun, fun...well, not exactly.
I'm using XP...Windows.
I just made Safari my default. In most ways, it's far simpler to use than Firefox or Opera, IMO. I'm having trouble getting a weather reading included in my opening page, but what the hell. That's easy enough to search up later. It opens Google Groups, at least so far, beautifully, and eliminates a problem that I've been having with Firefox in DPReview.com (digital photography site). That often came up with "Bad Request" in the upper left of a white screen when I was moving from one forum answer to the next, or back. It got annoying, though a Control R corrected the mess each time. So I started looking at Opera, which is somewhat weird in some ways. Then I recalled that someone on DPReview had mentioned that Safari now worked for Windows. It surely does, at least so far.
I'm not deleting any programs yet, but it seemed to me that every time Firefox updated itself, it got clumsier and harder to handle, more prone to minor glitches, so a change was in order.
So far, Safari seems to me to be more unified, more of a whole, maybe just better planned from the start.

So far (knocking wood) I just suffer a bit from BHP (benign hypertrophy of the prostate). Cystoscopy was no fun whatsoever, but reaming out the prostate helped a lot.

I don't like google groups except to search. Have you tried Xnews to keep up with ongoing discussions? It is just unzipping from the TEST download at http://xnews.newsguy.com/ and making a shortcut to xnews.exe.

I'm annoyed at the continual updates that Apple pushes on you, which mean that the whole kit-a-kaboodle has to be reinstalled. At least for iTunes and Quiktime. A patchfile would be more acceptable.

I completely agree.

Good to see you here!
--
Best regards
Han

I use Safari and Firefox on 5 macs, Firefox on 2 PC's I had completely forgotten that Safari now runs on a PC as well. (Which is why the sore losers at Microsoft stopped supporting Exploder for Macs.)
I agree that Firefox is 'out-featuring' themselves into being too cumbersome. Every upgrade makes it slower. Safari is simple and quick. That works for me. The Firefoxes are still around for that odd page that Safari won't play with.

I am beginning to think so as well. I upgraded to the lastest version, and it performs well, but it is getting cluttered and a little clumsy. I still can't figure out how to effectively remove bookmarks and histories as they cross reference each other in FF3. Several trips to the FF3 forums have yielded good information, but all I want to do is to "uncheck" or unhighlight some old favorite place and have it gone.
You can remove the book mark, but it may still be in your favorite places, so it isn't really gone at all. The reverse is true as well.
And I don't need to see my most recent history displayed. No way to stop that, either short of going into another screen an just deleting all of it.
At any rate, still 2.000 light years ahead of MS E7. May have to look into Safari. The nerd squads sure like it.
Robert

Hey!
Heh. Well, Safari isn't exactly a Wonderland, either. I've spent upwards of six hours trying to update my web site, only to have it fail on one page or another on Safari, while the changes come right through on Firefox.
An old definition of insanity was attempting to get different results by doing the same thing over and over again. Sounds more like working with a damned computer to me. You've got to be laid up to the point where the only other constructive thing you can do is read to mess with this shit.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:19:01 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

You know the old saying "you don't have to be crazy to work here, but it sure helps"? That's the computer business. The definition of insanity is correct - and very applicable to the computer service business,
You have to figure out what needs to be done, then do it as often as necessary to get it to work. Start second guessing yourself, and it's all over - you will NEVER get the job done, because you are chasing a moving target.
Charlie Self wrote:

If you want to see why web sites have to put special cases in the coding to accommodate different browsers, check this out:
http://brainerror.net/scripts/javascript/blendtrans /

don't forget to delete the cache if you need to see changes.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

I just installed Safari on my PC. Nice to be home.
Charlie Self wrote:

Safari is built on Firefox code. So essentially your still using Firefox.
--
All the Best
Dale Miller
Dale Miller wrote:

Wrong. Safari is built on WebKit, which is the basis of Konqueror, part of the KDE project, for *nix based systems.
Firefox uses Gecko, the basis for all Mozilla based browsers, Safari is not a member of that group.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

I stand corrected...it use to be built on gecko...I didn't know that they changed.
--
All the Best
Dale Miller

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Geez, Internet Explorer just works. I'm _so_ glad I don't have a Mac.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Hahahahaha..... yeah, ok.
--

-MIKE-

J. Clarke wrote:

IE is a piece of shit, your post explains why Billy G is so rich.
--
Froz...

Yeah, not a chance you're jealous about his net worth. And too bad it makes you look like a whiner. Maybe you should go commiserate with Tim.