Ryobi Drum Sander Problem

I have a Ryobi 16 inch drum sander (model # WDS1600). It has recently started snapping the sandpaper strip that wraps around the drum. It snaps at the motor end of the drum where it goes into the drum and tensioning clip. I was sanding 16+ inch panels, taking 1/128" off at the slowest speed and it would snap the strip. It also snapped it when I was running a 2" wide strip of wood through the sander. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this and how to fix it???

Reply to
tony weikert

Hi Tony! When did it start snapping the strip? Was it with a new box of sandpaper? I mean new as in different - could be brand new or it could be an unopened box that had been sitting around a while and just recently opened to use. The paper can get old - like dry rot. Try a brand new box and see if that fixes it. If it's a brand new box, then maybe you got a bad batch. Try returning it as defective and see if the replacement does the same. Something to try at least.

- Dan Klima

Reply to
Dan Klima

Reply to
tony weikert

I have the ryobi and it took me a few times of changing paper to get it down. It is kind of a pia but you'll catch on. Just make sure your paper is on as tight as possible. The spring tensioner works pretty good at pulling it tight but you gotta make sure you put the paper on as tight as possible. Pay close attention to how the paper comes off before you put the new stuff back on. That will help. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I finally gave up on trying to get the paper into the spring tension clip -- now I just put a strip of duct tape around that end to hold it in place.

"Slowhand" > it much before then). Didn't give the paper a thought. The rolls of

Reply to
Herb Robinson

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:27:40 -0800, "Slowhand" > it much before then). Didn't give the paper a thought. The rolls of

Reply to
WD