Ryobi Drum Sander Problem

I have a Ryobi 16 inch drum sander (model # WDS1600). It has recently started snapping the sandpaper strip that wraps around the drum. It snaps at the motor end of the drum where it goes into the drum and tensioning clip. I was sanding 16+ inch panels, taking 1/128" off at the slowest speed and it would snap the strip. It also snapped it when I was running a 2" wide strip of wood through the sander. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this and how to fix it???
Hi Tony! When did it start snapping the strip? Was it with a new box of sandpaper? I mean new as in different - could be brand new or it could be an unopened box that had been sitting around a while and just recently opened to use. The paper can get old - like dry rot. Try a brand new box and see if that fixes it. If it's a brand new box, then maybe you got a bad batch. Try returning it as defective and see if the replacement does the same. Something to try at least. - Dan Klima

It just started snapping the paper in the last week (I didn't really use it much before then). Didn't give the paper a thought. The rolls of paper I have are a few years old. I'll try some new stuff. I have seen other places where changing the paper on this drum sander is a royal PITA which I can attest to. The manual leaves a lot to be desired on changing the paper. I'm not really sure I'm putting it in the spring tensioner correctly. Tony

I have the ryobi and it took me a few times of changing paper to get it down. It is kind of a pia but you'll catch on. Just make sure your paper is on as tight as possible. The spring tensioner works pretty good at pulling it tight but you gotta make sure you put the paper on as tight as possible. Pay close attention to how the paper comes off before you put the new stuff back on. That will help. SH
I finally gave up on trying to get the paper into the spring tension clip -- now I just put a strip of duct tape around that end to hold it in place.

I also encounter similar problems. I remove the sanding roll to align the new Ryobi's generic conveyor for parallelism. I failed to take a good look how the paper attached to the drum's clip before I removed it. After realignment I reinstalled the sanding roll, but I could not clip the end to the drum. Finally, I slipped the end into the slot and it came off after running for a few minutes. The manual did not any pics of attaching the paper. I had to remove the drum and motor to take view how the damn clip work. I also found the bolt beside the motor mount is for opening and holding the spring open.
BTW, (I am new to drum sander) and would appreciate if you could tell me the following: Where did you buy your sanding roll, how much? What grits do you use most often? How long will the sanding roll last? Where can I buy a cleaning stick? Do you experience any excessive snip?
I am still adjusting and testing the sander before I start using it.
Thanks
and