Replacing Ryobi Drum Sander Paper ?

Is there anybody out there who has figured out how to do this? A magic tool?

Just wasted over an hour trying. Used all my regular words to!

Reply to
Bill

I've got a Ryobi drum sander and have replaced the paper many times. Each time, I probably went through the same seriese of words you just used.

The clips that hold the paper have to be the cheapest hunks of crap every created by mankind. Whoever designed those clips should burn in tool Hell for eternity - forced to wrap sandpaper onto that drum over and over again while Satan takes a heat gun to his testicles.

I found that if you take the tip of one end of the paper, and wrap it a couple times with duct tape, it lets the teeth of the clips grap the sandpaper a bit better.

Hope this helps you out a little.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

Brian,

How do you get the paper into the right end clip?

I have resorted to a mirror to see what is going on.

Reply to
Bill

I have a generic Ryobi, spend more than a week figuring how to replaced the sanding roll. I finally removed the drum and visually inspected the mechanism.

This is how you do it..

1) With two hands, left hand rotates the drum either direction till the capscrew plunger is about 2" from the slot and depresses the capscrew plunger inward with right hand. 2) With the plunger still in depress position, rotate the drum clockwise with your left hand. Until the clamp (inside the drum) open and lineup with the slot outside the drum. Remove your right hand from capscrew plunger (the plunger is spring loaded, the resistance and treaded capscrew will hold the clamp open), while holding the drum, use your right hand to insert the end on the sanding roll into the slot and clamp. Slowly release the drum (counter clockwise, clamp under spring pressure) while holding the sanding roll tightly to the drum and into the slot. You will have to do it a few times to ensure the sanding roll is inserted and tightly wound onto the drum.

I would first try the above method without the sanding roll to ensure the clamp are open. It's tricky, I make a few mistakes thinking I have inserted the end of the sanding roll into the clamp. I would not advice you take the drum out to visually inspect the mechanism, you will need to spend hours aligning the various mechanisms after that.

Once know how to insert the end of the sanding roll into the slot and clamp correctly, it takes no more than two minutes or so and a piece of cake after that.

Reply to
Charles Bull

A couple months ago I asked if the Ryobi was worth buying. You coulda warned me!

(price on Ebay went up to $300 and it seemed overpriced, so I didn't get it...)

Reply to
Toller