Grizzly 16" drum sander

Anyone have or know someone that has experience with this sander.

My concern is that at 2 HP it might be underpowered.

Reply to
Frank Howell

My Performax 22-44 works great with 1 1/2 HP.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks, all info helps.

This is an used machine that the seller is asking $350 for, which is a very fair price, but......... if it doesn't work well, no price is too low.

Reply to
Frank Howell

Remember... Drum sanders aren't planers. Even if you had tons of horsepower, a deep cut would simply burn the wood.

Performax does recommend an unshared 20A circuit for the 22-44. What does the Grizz require in the way of electrical specs?

Reply to
B A R R Y

This is a 15 amp 220 volt single phase machine.

Reply to
Frank Howell

The Grizzly model he's talking about looks to be a dual drum though. I would imagine the second drum needs a little less hp than the first. My shop built 14" sander works fine with a 1 hp grizzly motor. I can bog it down if I try to get too aggressive with it, but as another poster said, it's not a planer. Actually If the stock is narrow and I go crazy with the depth it'll burn through the paper instead of slow down the drum at all. If you use it as intended it should be fine.

Reply to
LEGEND65

The HP is fine.

One potential problem is that height adjustment is via the table rather than the head as in the Performax/Jet.

That may or may not be a problem depending on what you want to sand. If you want to sand long lengths of anything it is a problem because those long pieces need added support both on infeed and outfeed sides. That is nigh on to impossible to accomplish when the table goes up and down, very easy when the head does.

Reply to
dadiOH