Ryobi AP10 adjustment

My AP10 is a great little machine, but the thickness varies a bit across the finished board (up to 1/64 if I remember correctly) I looked into the drive mechanism in the top section and it does not appear to have a fine adjustment capability. Has anybody worked out a procedure for adjusting it (easily).

Len

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

I once had this on an AP-10 that I've since sold to someone else. Like you, I looked for an adjustment. There is none, so I carefully disassembled enough to reindex one of the bevel gears at the top of the screw that raises/lowers the cutter mechanism. I changed mine by

1 tooth. In my case, I moved it 1 tooth in the direction that caused it to lower the cutter on the side that left the board a little thick. Of couse, you could move the gear on the thin side, but would then move it in the direction of raising said cutter.
Reply to
LL

About 8 years ago I took mine in to the repair center to have that fixed. Apparently too much slop in the set up. Oddly they charged me $15 to fix it. The machine is going on 17 years old and still works as good as new.

Reply to
Leon

I never tried that, but the above was why I dumped mine, and explained to the guy that bought it -why- I was selling it

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

When I sold mine, I did not say it had ever had an uneven thickness problem. It hadn't reverted to doing that after my reindexing of the gears. I got a new one simple because I wanted a machine with the capability of planing wider boards and my concern with replacement knife availability.

Reply to
LL