Rust control on machine tables

Page 1 of 2
I had read about the benefits of using Corrosion-X (vs paste wax), a marine-use anti-corrosive, but couldn't find it at the marinas and sporting goods stores that I tried (Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, local guys). What I did find was Quicksilver Corrosion Guard from Mercury Marine. So, I put a nice new fininsh on the TS, BS and jointer and sprayed it on. Well, a week later it's still tacky. Not exactly conducive to optimal machine use. I called Merc and they said that that was it's normal state. So, the big question; Instead of wiping this all off with some solvent (they 'didn't know ' which one but I could 'try' laquer thinner) is it possible to spray it with a dryer to get it to set up? I actually don't think this will work but, hey, you don't know if you don't ask. I'm thinking that I'm in for a long, stinky weekend and back to the Johnson's Paste Wax (which is still allowing a slow rusting process to take place - very subtly). TIA, C
C & E wrote:

I read a little about it and from the applications that I saw, I don't think you'll be able to get it to set up... Just my humble two pennies worth.
WD40 will probably take it off pretty easily... You'll definitely want to make sure that nothing in the Quicksilver doesn't make any unpleasant (i.e. explosive or poisonous fumes) side products.
Good luck...
The best rust preventitive ---- Use it more often!!!
C & E wrote:

I've never used it personally, but I've heard good things about Boeshield. It did pretty good in a comparison test in Wood Magazine.
http://www.boeshield.com/index.htm
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Jess.S
Jesse R Strawbridge wrote:

I agree, and I've also been served well by Bostich Top Cote. I usually buy whatever is easier for me to get at the time I run out. <G>

I've really liked Top Cote. Not only does it keep rust from forming, but it makes wood slide over the machine surface like it's on ice - very nice for jointer tables.
As for removing the other product and helping remove rust stains, I've had good luck with Boeshields Rust Off.
Mike
Mike wrote:

And it smells nice, too!

Are you talking about TopCote or Boeshield?
AFAIC, Boeshield smells like dead...something....muskrats maybe?
TopCote DOES smell pretty good.
Gus wrote:

TopCote! <G>
"Chris Friesen" wrote

company. That is where the boe comes from in the name. And they license it for sale to everybody else.
I guess if it is good enough to make airplanes with, it ought to hold up well in our basement shops.
If you knew what goes into an airplane and the way they are made, you might quit flying.

Please enlighten us...
They are made of spruce and canvas. Both can rot.
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:53:55 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:23:21 GMT, Jim Behning

[...snip...]
Well, I am a pilot that flys small planes, admittedly not all that much, but that is one type construction I haven't seen around the airports much.
On the other hand, the planes I fly, say a single engine Cessna or a Piper or a Grumman, are made to be lightweight and a lot of that metal will flex: you are supposed to step "here", but not on "this" or "that". And don't grab "here" to pull your seat forward, but only "there".
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:44:27 -0700, Jim Weisgram

They're hidden in the hangers, so they don't rot. <G>
Jim Behning (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| They are made of spruce and canvas. Both can rot.
Some are wood, although aluminum and chrome-moly steel are probably more common these days - and a high-grade Dacron (either bonded to Mylar or treated with a gel coating for slickness and waterproofing) seem to be the skins of choice. UV is a greater threat to the skin than water.
On the other hand, stainless pop rivets are a popular fastener and I've never quite become comfortable with that.
The wood construction planes I've seen around my shop have all been dry and rot-free under their skin. I can't recall seeing bare, unprotected wood on any of them; but I don't know what's used. I'll have to ask.
I haven't seen any heavy jets made from spruce and canvas, have you? Can you post pictures?

CW wrote:

As a guy who participates in his own annual inspection on his "spam can", and lives in the land of Pratt & Whitney, I agree. <G>
On the other hand, it can be looked at from the point of view that aircraft are much lower precision than the average bear might think. A few parts have very close tolerances, but the rest is just typical machinery.
"Aircraft Quality" is a fanfreakintastic marketing term, though!
TopCote is what you need....
http://www.bostik-us.com/products/index.asp?fa tegories&divisionId=6&categoryId'
I would remove that Corrosion Guard with kerosene.