Runny glue - Titebond 3 - frozen?

Just tried using some reasonably new Titebond 3 that I bought in January I believe. It came out extremely runny, and I can only think that I allowed it to freeze at some point, since the bottle was half gone and I hadn't not iced this issue prior to now. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks, JP

Reply to
JayPique

There was quite a discussion about this 5~6 weeks ago or so. I have had more than a few conversations with the reps at TiteBond/ Franklin.

The glue is runny because the "stuff" that makes all of their extend glues, extend, settles to the bottom of the bottle. When it does this you get runny. Apparently this does not affect the glue other than you don't get as long of an open time when gluing and you waste a sizable amount of glue. I have barely gotten through 1/2 of a gallon bottle and it has gone bad.

Despite what the front label and back labels say, you would not buy the glue if you really knew what you had to do to keep the product in good shape, here is what they say.

The bottle has a shelf life of approximately 2 years, that shelf life is from the day of production. There is a date code on every bottle so that you can identify the date of manufacture. Not surprisingly that date tends to be at least 4~5 months before you got your hands on it.

The glue is NOT waterproof by a woodworkers definition. It is water proof according to the good old boys glue manufacturing club. But to be clear the water proof product is not to be used submerged. That is on the label. My question, why buy water proof glue if you cant submerge it. The water proof glue classification that the glue passes mentions nothing about water proof rather only water resistant.

Despite the label mentioning that the glue needs to be shaken, the reps say to stir the glue and to do so before every use.. Good luck with that. I guess a mangled coat hanger in a drill would do the trick.

Reply to
Leon

I believe. It came out extremely runny, and I can only think that I allowe d it to freeze at some point, since the bottle was half gone and I hadn't n oticed this issue prior to now. Has anyone else had this experience?

If I accidentally leave glue out and it freezes, I toss it. I don't think i t's worth the risk of joint failure after I make the effort to building som ething.

Reply to
Michael