Running end-grain through a portable planer?

I'm in the process of making a very-narrow cutting board (12" wide), and would like to know if it would be okay to run it through my portable planer (Dewalt 734). It's made of hard maple, and the end-grain would be meeting the cutter blades. Before I run it through, I would be pealing away any glue squeezeout.
Any thoughts/suggestions more than welcomed!!

I would not. Tear out is likely to be a mess. I would use a belt sander or drum sander to handle the end grain.
wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

At least at the trailing edge you should expect some serious chipout, so make the board something like half an inch longer than needed and cot the cipped edge off after planing. The planed surface might not be very nice anyway.
wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

Tear out will be a real problem. Same thing with Chess Boards.
Hand Plane with a sharp low angle blade and well adjusted chip breaker ight do better. I would go with a belt sander - hand held, or (preferably) a drum (panel) sander.
FWIW,
Greg G.