Roy Underhill did it again!

Page 1 of 3
I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up. I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.
lol, I remember watching an episode he had a while back with bloopers and outtakes. He royally cut his finger and had it wrapped in gauze the rest of the show but there was blood soaking through and getting on stuff. It was pretty funny in a gruesome sort of way.
--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
Jeff P. wrote:

and
rest of

It was

I helped Mr Underhill set up for an appearance at the local Woodcraft store. (He's a Washingtonian and his parents were still living in DC at the time, maybe still do.) Anyhow, after taking a look at the shaving horse I said, "The blood cleaned up real well didn't it." He replied "Yeah, I hose it down after use."
The worst injury he has had, which resulted in a very ugly thumb for several weeks, happened when he dropped a heavy piece of equipment (I disrememeber what) while moving it.
--

FF

Roy is a complete spaz. I saw an episode where he applied stain to the inside of a cabinet by splashing the entire can of stain into the backside. As though he was putting out a fire. Then he rapidly tried to spread it out, but it didn't work very well.
What a dope.

So, when is _your_ show on, Geoff?
Um, I don't have a show, Dave.
"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit."

Yeah, I guessed that.

I have to say that Roy seems to know quite a bit but he is not a great teacher.
Leon,
Have you ever seen him in person, doing a presentation? He seems pretty good on TV to me, but in person he's a lot better.
As far as those commenting on his lack of coordination or knowledge, it would be interesting to sit them down with some of the tools Roy Underhill uses and ask them what they're made to do. Don't ask them to use the tools, just ask them to identify them.
These guys should have a flag: you recall they old "Don't Read On Me" snake flag of the American Revolution? Maybe they could use a cobra ready to strike, with something along the line of "Dipsticks United for Less Knowledge of The Old Ways".

Asking them to use them would be even more fun.

DULK TOW?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Actually the flag read "Don't Tread On Me"
wrote:

Lee remove NO SPAMMERS for email
Lee Feb 21, 2:10 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
author
Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Feb 28, 2:10 pm).
Actually the flag read "Don't Tread On Me"
Sorry about the typo.
Charlie Self wrote:

In Japan, a person like that (such as a traditional sword maker) are designated a "National Treasure".
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Haven't watched him much, but I gotta give him credit for his enthusiasm. That's got to count for something in holding the interest of some viewers that otherwise would have a borderline interest in hand tools. He's got about 10x the personality of Norm. (on television, at least; can't speak from any personal meetings).
As far as cuts, scrapes and dings, I'm just a part-time hobbyist, and I get my share of cuts. Doesn't seem to me to be an indication of Underhill being a klutz.
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:53:27 -0500, Gerald Ross

It's a good system, and they're very fussy about who receives this accolade. You certainly don't receive it just for appearing on TV.
I believe a Living National Treasure might have seen some of my work, in a field similar to their own. So that's _another_ country I'm now too embarassed to ever visit.

Agreed. Although I suspect that the old world tools that he uses may not have the "Government Mandated" safety devices that would prevent a lot of his injuries. :~) He seems to butt in on his guests too much for my liking.

;~)
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:35:25 GMT, "Leon"

I always figure he is trying to move the show along. They don't edit it a lot and he needs to get through the whole thing in a half hour.
Besides, he definitely suffers from ADHD.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Is he still doing the entire show with no "jumps" in the process?
I really enjoy Roy and look forward to watching him every week. I think one of the first things we all look for at the beginning of the show is how many blue finger nails and cuts he has before we look to see what project he is doing.
writes:

Leon wrote:

the
tried to