Routing a slot in a brittle laquered surface

Hello, As you can tell by the question, I'm not an experienced woodworker. Anyway, I need to elongate an existing slot in a surface with a brittle laquered finish, and don't want that finish to splinter or crack. I have router bits and drills, and can also get access to metalworking endmills. Any suggestions? How do the pros do that? Thanks in Advance, Jim Mass
(I noticed that my old email address was on my previous post, so re-posting....)
Hello,
As you can tell by the question, I'm not an experienced woodworker.
Anyway, I need to elongate an existing slot in a surface with a brittle laquered finish, and don't want that finish to splinter or crack. I have router bits and drills, and can also get access to metalworking endmills.
Any suggestions? How do the pros do that?
Thanks in Advance, Jim Mass
"jim snipped-for-privacy@surfbest.net" wrote:

I'd use a "down cut" router bit or a "left hand spiral" milling cutter. ...lew...