Routers

Page 2 of 3
I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone that responded to my question. But I have one more question. Is a plunger base better than a fixed base, or visa versa, or does it really matter? There's two models from Hitachi ( I don't recall the model numbers) one is $59 and then the other comes with a fixed and plunger base for $102. I'd like to save forty dollars, but with two bases it seems like I might have more options to work with. Also in regards to buying all the other toys that go with a router,table, templates, etc., yea, those are in the future also. Take Care, Antree
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

plunge.
Add pictures here
✖

It depends where and how you think you'd be using it. But, consider that a plunge router for the much greater part will do everything that a fixed base router can do, but the reverse is not always true.
Add pictures here
✖
Some notes on the whole megillah at the : http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link. ********************************************************************
On Jun 25, 8:47 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
I use a Bosch plunge and large PC in my table. I love my mid 80's Craftsman router with a light to better see my work. I dont know if any existing routers have lights or how old one would have to be to have a light.
Add pictures here
✖
henry wrote:

I like the light also. I just don't have any requirement for variable depth dadoes.
Add pictures here
✖
The kit with two bases is what I recommended. It is the WAY to get started. You can't beat that price in my opinion.
Buying the router(s) will be the cheapest part of the entire deal.
You are going to need a few "extra" things to go along with that.
(1) Table (2) lift (3) bits (4) bits (5) bits (6) template guides (7) bits (8) "How to" books (9) bits
You see a trend here ???
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:47:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Not better, different. Each is used for different operations.
A plunge base is necessary for well... plunging! You can still do stopped slots if on end of the slot is open, but if you need to stop at both ends, you'll need to plunge.
Straight bases usually have lower center of gravities and easier to dial in adjustment mechanisms, making them the first choice when no plunge is needed.
✖
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:18:54 -0700, "Steve"

I'm up to seven.
✖

12
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 25, 2:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I have a porter cable 690 that you can find on sale on reconditioned for around $100-125 This a great router. Now be prepared to shell out some bucks for all the different router bits you will need. If you can but carbide tiped bits. If you cant afford them be prepared to take very light cuts or you will burn up the bits. Have fun and be careful , routers can be dangerous.... also very nosiy.. Are you going to get a router table also?
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
Add pictures here
✖

go to www.woodcraft.com and sign up for a free catalog and their emails. At least once a year they sell router bits for $5 each. Probably not bits that Marks or Warner would use but they work. www.holbren.com also has low cost bits.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 04:41:19 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop

It appears Amazon has new Porter-Cable 690's for $115 plus shipping (if you can wait a couple of weeks, shipping is free). (Amazon.com product link shortened)14417181&sr=1-11
But here's a 2-1/4 HP Hitachi kit with fixed base and plunger in your price range, this looks like a fantastic deal: http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_ (Reconditioned)___i307.aspx
Add pictures here
✖
Other than the "ugly as hell" factor, that is a stone cold deal for $59.
Jim Weisgram wrote:

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_ (Reconditioned)___i307.aspx
Add pictures here
✖
Apparently, it's gone up in the past 10-15 minutes - it's $102 now.
Pat Barber wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
I think we are looking at two different routers:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_M12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_Fixed_Base_Router_ (Reconditioned)___i310.aspx
and
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_M12V2_3-14_Peak_HP_Router_Plunge_Variable_Speed_ (Reconditioned)___i309.aspx
a better deal would be this one:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_ (Reconditioned)___i307.aspx
Jason wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Yeah, we were. I was going on Jim's original one, but I found the $59 one with your links. Thanks - I wasn't thinking outside the box.
Jason Buckler Marietta, GA
Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_M12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_Fixed_Base_Router_ (Reconditioned)___i310.aspx

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_M12V2_3-14_Peak_HP_Router_Plunge_Variable_Speed_ (Reconditioned)___i309.aspx

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_ (Reconditioned)___i307.aspx

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.hamspam.net says...

Still $59 here.

--
Keith

Add pictures here
✖
In article <e971aa10-964d-4f2e-b9db-

I agree 100%. I bought a PC691 (D-handle) several years back. I immediately threw the Crapsman router in the trash. What a sweet tool!

Then you need a router lift, and... ;-)
-- Keith
Add pictures here
✖
randyswoodshoop wrote:

Stan,
Following up on Randy's mentioning of a table, I'll offer some of my observations.
I use a router a middling amount; not near as much as some of the guys who regularly post here, but my routers are well-used tools in my shop. One is used freehand and the other is more or less impermanently mounted in the table. Before I got my second router, the table mounted machine came out occasionally for freehand work.
I found that it was rare that I unmounted the router from the table, however. Most of the cuts I wanted to make could be done easily on the table. And now, my handheld machine isn't used much. Yes, you can use jigs attached to the edge guides that come with the routers, and some guys use them all the time. But I really appreciate the hassle free workings of the table I have.
A table needn't be much more than a 3/4" chunk of plywood, a straight edge and a couple of clamps for proof-of-concept. It's worth the time and trouble to see how much easier the router is to use with one.
YMMV
Tanus
Add pictures here
✖