Router Table Footswitch Control Idea

I built a router table out of a salvaged Subway table, drawers from an old office desk found curbside and some 5/8" plywood shelving I found in the house I bought and had to tear out because of the mildew that was on it.
Long story short, I wanted to incorporate a foot switch I had laying about, but the way it was wired, the switch would plug into an AC outlet and the router would plug into the switch (down on the floor). This meant two cables strewn about.
I thought about re-wiring the inside of the foot switch - even opened it up to take a look - but figured it would be too much trouble and the result would be a switch that wouldn't work as intended. But, but shorting across the white and black terminals of a standard grounded plug, I could effectively "re-wire" the switch without changing its internal circuitry - thus preserving it for use "as designed/ intended."
I solved my "problem" with a three-way switch and a duplex outlet. I wired the HOT feed into the switch "common" and one "Traveler" to the HOT/BLACK of the top outlet and the other "Traveler" to the WHITE/ NEUTRAL side of the bottom outlet. I broke the "knock out/off" link between the top and bottom outlets on the WHITE/NEUTRAL side of the duplex outlet.
Now, I plug the router into the top outlet and the foot switch into the bottom outlet. When the three-way switch is in POSITION "A." power is fed directly to the router. When in the other position, power is fed to the router through the foot switch. When the "shorting plug" is inserted int the foot switch, pressing it allows power to flow to the router, releasing it cuts the power.
When the foot switch is unplugged (to use with another tool/device), the three-way switch works like a normal single pole switch to apply/ cut power to the router plugged into the top outlet.
I'll post pictures and wiring diagrams if there is any interest. So far, I've spent less than three dollars on the complete setup - table, base and electrical.
Did you actually have a need for a foot operated switch or do you believe that this would be is a useful feature? I find that I do a lot of moving around while using my router table and a foot operated switch would be more problematic for me. I prefer to turn on the router and be free to move around.
I would however like to see your pics.

Of course it costs a few dollars more than what he is proposing, but I'd consider the Lee Valley air actuated switch. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p0049&cat=1,240,41065 Since I wouldn't be stepping on anything very fast, I'd mount it a little higher up to bang with my knee or somewhere else to know with my elbow.

OK, I took a look. And, if i'd had that one laying about the shop . . .
But, my approach offers the benefit of being able to use either the FS or the Table-mounted switch to turn the router on or off - with out without removing the able to the FS. A task that is remarkably easier to do than with the alternative presented at http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p0049&cat=1,240,41065
I imagine adding a compressor air coupler would facilitate removing the foot switch, but that would not allow operation via a table mounted switch w/o additional wiring.
and be free to move around.
Hey, another patentable idea! A flip flop FS that straps to your boot. A micro switch embedded into shoe leather controlling an X-10 wireless controller so that squeezing one's big toe into one's shoe closes te circuit. Of course there would be some delay involved as one would have to press toe once to start and again to end. Hmmm. . .

In Texas we might have a bad accident stomping on some of our giant cock roaches and accidentally turning on the router.
Bob wrote:

In Texas, the cockroaches would step on the switch themselves. ;-))))
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

The other day using the router out of the table when it went *BANG* and started smoking I sure wouldn't have minded a foot switch, as inconvenient as it might be. For use in the table I think a switch mounted on the table is best though.
I wouldn't mind a momentary foot switch on the drill press though. When it rips something out of my hand I'd like to just be able to back away and have it stop, and you're always going to be standing in the same spot.
-Leuf

I wouldn't mind a momentary foot switch on the drill press
My approach would work with the drill press as well. Depending on how it is presently switched, I would lok into a DPDT replacement so you might use the same approach - removable FS while maintainingthe original operation and control on the drill press.
But I think i need to devise a crank switch so that, as soon as you took your hand off the hand crank - when the workpiece gets caught, etc) the power is cut. Hmmm, you've given me a patentable idea. Let's keep it to ourselves until I can register it!
Hoosierpopi wrote:

How's about one of those "touch to activate" lamp switches that were all the rage a decade or so ago? SOMEBODY got stuck with a warehouse full of 'em. ;-)
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

Did you actually have a need for a foot operated switch
Naw, but I had it laying about and now, I have a router control that accepts it as, if and when I decide to use it.
Also, as it, now, just plugs in to the table, its easy to remove it and store it in one of the drawers.

misc040.jpg[/IMG]
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/charlessenf/Projects / misc044.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/charlessenf/Projects / misc043.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/charlessenf/Projects / misc018.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/charlessenf/Projects / misc016.jpg
wrote in message

Site requires login with username and password.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net