Router Table

Page 2 of 2

I also have the LV system with a Hitachi M12V mounted under it. Built a frame out of old oak flooring for the top to rest on & tip up for access. Dust collection out the back is acceptable with the LV magnetic hood & a small shop vac. Just vac below the frame at end of day for drop thru. Magnetic feather boards from TS work on this top & with cross slide you don't have to worry about fence parallel to Tslot. Table is sure strong & flat. Router mounting is good for quick removal, but you must make sure it is tightened back in properly or you get "random height adjustment." DAMHKT.
Sure I'd like table bigger but it's been fine for most tasks. Only modification needed has been adding a table on top to pick up depth for horizontal panel raising bit which won't retract far enough into the router with the Hitachi "bushing ears" on. That concept of a covering table butting the fence could probably be used to extend size of the small steel table when needed.
Has anyone used the "bit-jack" attachment for height adjustment? Looks interesting and reasonable in price.
Jerry
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 05:36:53 GMT, "BillyBob"

A whole 3/16"!!! ? :) FWIW, I've bent steel that thick -by accident- at work :). OTOH, I've not known Veritas to make a shoddy prduct, so I'm sure it's all right- just sounded hilarious to me (ever lifted up a 24' length of 3/16" thick steel? It's about as sturdy as a spagetti noodle!)
At any rate, for the OP- Consider making your own, with a fold-up top. Make two "legs" out of 3/4" ply that are connected to the wall studs with piano hinges, and a fold-down top that secures to the wall when not in use. You'll not only save space and money, but you'll still have most of the benefits of a full-size router table as well. That'd be my vote anyhow.

That's why it comes pre warped.

If you have 24' lengths of steel at work, then I bet you work with tools and machines that could easily bend my table saw in half. :-)
Many people make their tops out of two layers of 3/4" MDF. I'd like to see how much flex you have in a 24' long piece of MDF. :-) :-)
Bob
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:52:35 GMT, "BillyBob"

Well, that's true enough. But I can bend even a short piece 3/16" by hand pretty easily, unless it's an angle iron or tube.

Okay, I see your point. :)

I'm not sure what width your talking about or what grade of steel, but really don't think you could bend this top. I'm a pretty stout guy and I can't even come close to warping it.
Bob
I can't see buying a router table that comes with a factory warp.