Router speed for dovetails

I have a Keller dovetail system and was trying to make some box joints in 3/4 baltic birch (until now I have only done dovetails in solid wood without many problems with splintering) The box joints splintered quite badly in the baltic birch making them useless. I was routing at a fast speed. Will a slower speed cause less splintering and pulling of the veneer off? By the way, the new Whiteside bit I purchased for box cutting, sold as a 9/16 cutting diameter, turned out to be 39/64th in diameter, which made my splintering problem moot.
Speed change won't help. Plywood splinters. A backer board would help. Box joints are better cut on the tablesaw or router table. That way, you can adjust the fit.

I used 1/2" Baltic Birch for drawers and with a backer had no problems. I used the PC690 and Keller setup.