Router Recommendations.....3+ HP...

I was considering the Bosch 3.25HP. 1619EVS Anyone currently using it?
Any other recommendations for something that will turn a large bit?
Thanks!
Elmar
Hitachi M12V
On 12 Dec 2003 18:19:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote:

I have a M12V permently mounted in my router table, love it . For under $200 can't be beat. Jim
(Elmar) wrote:

internet.com says...

Second that one - great value and performance for the buck.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
On 12 Dec 2003 18:19:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote:

Here is the same reply I sent to an earlier post about routers. It pertains to your request for information even moreso...
f you can somewhere, go check out the Milwaukee 5625-20 three and a half horsepower unit.
This is truly a great router and ideal for under a table. Electronic variable speed, which keeps the RPM's at the speed you initially set, soft start, and a really nice above-the-table height adjustment feature. Comes with both collets and 2 sub-bases...one eith the PC size hole for the PC system of bushings.
In my (now-soon-to-be-gone) job at a WWW store, I've gotten to use a bunch of routers in my demos for customers and woodworking classes I was teaching. This includes all the PC's, Triton, Makita, DeWalt, Bosch and Milwaukee's. Since the darn stores are all going out of business and I won't have the in-store shop to work in anymore, I found myself wanting to purchase a new router for my own shop,
The 3 1/2 horse Milwaukee was my head and shoulders above the rest choice.
HTH, Terry
I'll second the motion on the 5625-20. I love it.
Brian.
(Elmar) wrote:

The PorterCable 7518 is a nice router to be mounted inverted in a router table.
--
Mike
"Elmar" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> a crit dans le message de

PC7518
Elmar wrote:

Thanks...now I am more confused than ever!! :-)
It will primarily be used under a router table. There's not much to free hand with a 3+HP router!
Thanks for all of the recommendations. I will research each one of them.

but a very good plunge would be the DeWalt DW625 :-) just to add to your confusion.....
--
Mike

For table only use, I'd look at the PC 7518 or the Mil 5625-20. Just because the 7518 is the standard doesn't mean it's the best. I'd stress that with any tool consideration - a tool develops a name, then anything new that comes along can have a tough time getting noticed. That being said the 7518 works great for me, tho if I had to replace it more than likely it'd be the 5625-20.
The 1619EVS is a good router, it would work well both in the table and out. It does have a smaller base opening than the 7518 IIRC, and the trigger took me a little getting used to for freehand use. Soft start and variable speed both make any router more comfortable, I couldn't imagine 3+hp w/o it. The 1619EVS is also about 2/3 the weight of the 7518. Hitachi, I don't know enough about, but my brother swears by them, not at them, as he serviced them at one point that says something.
As for Norm, this could easily be a rant. There are many reasons he uses what he does, and they are different that mine and I suspect yours.
HTH, jeffo

it?
Let's really screw him up Dave. I like my big Dewalt - DW 625 ! Ha !

On 12 Dec 2003 18:19:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote:

Weight might be a factor if it's intended use is not in a router table.

Yeah, point well made. I just bought the Hitachi. Its permanent place will be a router table I'm going to build into the table saw station, and I'm glad I bought it just for that. That sucker is HEAVY! It's usable as a handheld but just holding the thing makes it obvious that swinging it around would get pretty old, pretty fast.
Dan
I recommend the Hitachi MV12 also. Its a great dual use router. Good plunge router and its micro adjust make it a good table router. If you can't afford a Porter Cable it is probably the best bang for the buck (especially if Amazon still has their great deal on it! $159.00 and I think there is a rebate to subtract from that even!)