router fence material

Any comments on material used - MDF versus wood? Just finished white oak base, and will be adding adjustable, sliding faces. Oak would take some work, MDF would take far less.

Reply to
Chris Carruth

chris,

consider baltic birch or melamine. if you do use MDF, i've had success flooding it with many coats of solvent-based poly, diluted with naptha, and then waxing it. makes it much harder and resistant to swelling.

good luck,

--- dz

Chris Carruth wrote:

Reply to
David Zaret

My router table fence is an aluminum extrusion, a commercial fence, and came with MDF faces. They even included an extra set of MDF faces. I expected the MDF to get worn away quickly but in fact I am still using the first set and they are in good shape. I say go for it, and make a bunch of replaceable faces so that you can have zero clearance around some of your router bits.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Maybe it's just me but I made some zero clearance fence faces and I find my dust collection doesn't work as efficiently as with a larger opening. I have my dust collection plenum directly behind the bit and inside the fence. The same thing goes for my table saw. When I use my box joint sled with dado cutters I find that if I completely remove the blade insert the collection system pulls the chips down and away better.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote