Best material to use for router fence

I plan on builing a router fence that sits on top of my table saw fence, would laminated MDF be a good choice of material for the face?

Reply to
Locutus

It's worked great for me. Be sure to laminate both sides of the work surface to keep it flat if you're not attaching it to some sort of reinforcement. Most Biesemeyer-style table saw fences are either MDF or birch ply under the face laminate.

In some cases, like spot made special fences, I don't even bother to laminate the face. I simply paste wax the MDF and use the fence.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Sure. My only recommendation would be to either leave the MDF unfinished, or finish all sides the same way. I had an MDF/hardboard laminated router table fence warp on me, and the only thing I can figure out is that uneven finishing between the 2 sides led to warping. Baltic birch ply is also a good choice, or HDPE/UHMW plastic would be ideal if you don't need a lot of stiffness. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I'd want something harder and slicker than MDF. Phenolic would be my first choice. Hard, flat, doesn't shrink or swell, expensive. Plastic laminate on the MDF would be a good second choice.

RicodJour

"Locutus" wrote in news:12ftokg98v8fc63 @corp.supernews.com:

I bought one that way, when I first made my router table. Slides on an aluminum extrusion. It's worked well enough that I haven't bothered to install the gee-whiz, fancy fence that a neighbor gave me when he moved all his stuff to Incra.

Have fun!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

MDF or MDF/laminate is a good choice. The laminate is just tougher and will handle the abuse better than the raw MDF.

For "one time" or "throw away" fences, MDF is really hard to beat.

Locutus wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I used 6/4 rock maple, 20 years ago. Still perfectly flat.

Dave

Teamcasa

I used this stuff

from RS. With impact adhesive onto MDF, seems to be holding up well

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

RE: Subject

A slab of 1/2" Corian or equal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Where does one buy laminate anyway? This is where a bunch of people will chime in on how they get off cuts for free from some cabinet place or something, but where do you buy the stuff? Google just gets me to a billion links about flooring.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Just did a Google for "wilsonart".

Should get you started.

Didn't check "Formica".

There must be others.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sorry, I mean able to buy online, in sizes that would be handy for workshop projects. None of the Lee Valley, Rockler, Woodcraft etc seem to carry any. I'd feel kind of silly walking into a distributer looking for a 4"x30" piece. You'd think somebody would be selling smaller pieces. Couldn't even find any on ebay.

What about sheet metal for a fence face? I was going to get some to try making a small cyclone for the shop vac anyway.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Bakealite is a solid material,almost identical to laminate. Good medium to work with as well and is ideal for fence.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That is correct, they sell it at HD.

Reply to
Locutus

Pat,

New product coming out I see. Looks like it's a pivoting fence but I don't understand why the aluminum stiffener on the face? Or is this a special purpose use fence that you've designed?

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Pretty special, but for general use, Bob.

Yes it pivots. Plan on CD-R on the Router Table, plans for that fence in the CD. Pivot is the simplest design for precision & accuracy. Will offer the critical parts, all, part or none. Stiffener: Adds substantially to deflection resistance and clamps the plastic down flat. Numbers show

Reply to
pat

Pat,

Thanks for the info and with those specs - it's obviously a very solid design.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Bought a sheet at Lowes a while back. Be aware though that their prices are not good.

Reply to
CW

Not exactly new. Been around for a few years now.

Reply to
CW