Router Bit Sharpening

How does one sharpen router bits? Especially the molding bits? Can they be touched up with a sharpening stone? Other than taking them to a professional sharpening business, how can the bits be sharpened or maintain sharpness?
I'm a recreational woodworker and buying a replacement bit, inexpensive versions, is less expensive that having them sharpened. Is there something I can do to sharpen or maintain router bit sharpness myself?
Thunder

call around. i get router bits sharpened for about $5.

I'm not an expert, but I have tried touching up the back (flat) edge of a couple of bits that I _really_ needed to have right then. It helped, I think, for that project. Keeping them clean, free from pitch and crud, seemed to help as well.
Working in something other than red oak also gets me much better results.
Patriarch

Send them to Ridge Carbide tools. www.ridgecarbidetool.com Five bucks, equal or better than new.
Rolling Thunder wrote:

Clean them up. Use a stiff brush, some blade/oven cleaner if necessary. Put a drop of light oil in the bearing (if the bit is piloted). You can touch up the flat side of the bit with a fine file. Don't fiddle with the curved side. Can only lead to grief.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Use a fine diamond file on the wide flat on the back side of the cutting edge of the carbide. These files can be had for less than $10.

Yep definitely only tough up the flat surface on the 'back'. I use diamond hones for this task and seems to work well. A picture of router bit sharpening in the following review: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ezelap.htm
Hope that helps!
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 70 woodworking product reviews online! WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps - Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment - Ryobi Right Angle Drill - Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer - Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw - Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction ------------------------------------------------------------