Router bit set help?!

Hi all,
I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with you all to see if that was not so smart.
Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.
Anxiously waiting to rout,
Larry
No. Don't use oil. When you do get them out you want them to be held tightly in the collet. Maybe an exacto knife to open up the plastic holder. By the way, what brand are they? JG
tammiejellison wrote:

A penetrating oil should be fine but use just enough so that it does not become too slippery.. I have been using WD -40 for years to help prevent the shafts from rusting. Aslo, if you have the clearance wrap a paper towel around the business end to protect you hand while gripping and twisting.

One route to routing could involve the use of a hair dryer. It should warm up the plastic enough to become more pliable, without any danger of compromising the hardening of the bits themselves.
tammiejellison wrote:

Are you talking about plastic or the dipped protective coating? If its the dipped coating I just use a scrap piece of wood and run the bit thru it. At 28,000 rpm it won't take much to remove it. I've never received a bit that was coated with a hard plastic just that rubberized coating.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

No, it is the plastic inserts in the wooden storage box. I've been able to remove 1 of the 25 or so bits so far. Thanks to all for their help.
Larry

Can you remove the entire plastic insert from the storage box and then push the bits out from the back with a dowel?
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Tried that, it worked for 1 bit, will keep trying with the others, Thanks
tammiejellison wrote:

grab a cloth to protect your hand, or a glove, and ROCK the bits rather than trying to rotate them. that's how I get the difficult to remove CMT bits out of their holders.
Dave