rough cut

Okay, but where? Doing it on a roof? On a job site without power?

Try this one: Piecing together some 1x stock to make a solid wood back for a cabinet with T&G.

Stanley 48 vs whatever you want to use.

I forgot to ask - do we include tool cost in the efficiency calculations?

This is fun! ;)

RicodJour

Woodworking to me is not plywood and it is not just

It is evident that "Kitchens" were simply used as an example to make a point about tailed tools in my initial post, a fact which you continue to ignore, but insist on misappropriating as a basis for your misguided assumptions/purposes.

So, let's have a little 'show n' tell' to clear the air, shall we?

Just a sampling of my woodworking, such as it is (and obviously paltry compared to a "real woodworker" of your apparent stature), is free for the world to see in the link below, very little of which, you will note, has anything to do with kitchens.

And, while we're tickled to have someone with your exalted expertise offering opinions as how the world of woodworking is conducted, it would be awfully upfront of you to actually show us some evidence of same.

(IIRC, this is not the first time this request has been made of you)

IOW, you indeed talk a good game, but do you really walk the talk?

Show us something besides hot air ... how about it?

Reply to
Swingman

Well, I have been sick. Otherwise, I don't think I would have missed that chestnut.

I have made that argument many a time to the devoted *home woodworker*, but they don't get it.

You can be as dedicated, take as long as you want, and be as true to wood work as you think necessary to satisfy your inner Duncan Phyfe if you aren't charged with making a living doing it day in and day out in a hyper-competitive market.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Shoulda sold it to some rich yuppie sucker and bought an entire matched set of Satanleys to replace it. Or trade it in for a SawStop with accessories.

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It woulda took me 2 hours to type all that...

RP

Reply to
RP

Actually, not all that much. Average price is in the $60-$90 range. Since mine was so pristine, he said he'd price it at about $150 in his shop. Nothing to get excited about.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have never watched Roy. Thanks for the link, maybe I'll catch up .. Never watched rough cut either.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Agreed. That said, I do use power tools a lot of the time. I caught a lot of flak here a few years ago when I said I wouldn't put "hand made by" on my work if I'd used power tools to build it. I still won't.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It woulda took me 2 hours to type all that... RP

It would have taken you 10 seconds to snip that 16K of text before you added your 10 words. Give the dial-up guys a break. Eh? Art

Reply to
Artemus

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:ii9jbf$ssb$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

In a lot of cases you are absolutely correct. However, if I route a 1/4" groove with the intent of inlaying a border for example, I sure as hell am not going to accept a tolerance of

1/32".

I cannot even come close to listing all of the benefits of the Incra fence setup that I purchased. I went over to a buddy's house and helped him on a weekend project about 6 months back. I actually went the entire day without using a tape measure on his table saw. Repeatable accuracy of a couple of thousandths is very easy to obtain. Needless to say I was sold.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I've got the original IncraJig to which I added a fence. You're right, repeatable accuracy is excellent. But there's a big difference between that and absolute accuracy. For example, I could rip 2 different boards to 3" wide and move and restore the fence between each one using the Incra. All 3 boards would be very close to the same width - as you say, a few thousandths. But how close they were to 3" is still dependent on my original setup -that's where the 1/64" comes in.

OTOH, your 1/4" groove for inlay is only dependent on the diameter of the router bit and the runout on the router. Measurement doesn't enter into it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I remember a shop class teacher (in a previous century) who told the class how he'd finished his basement using nothing but hand tools. Being young smartasses we asked him why he didn't wire the basement first so he could use power tools. Wish I'd paid more attention back then.

Reply to
DGDevin

I helped my grandfather and an uncle build/add on to their houses in the middle of the last century, with nothing but hand tools. My dad and I built all our barns, and a duck hunting boat, with nothing but hand tools in the early 50's ... thank gawd for electricity.

Reply to
Swingman

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:iik2bq$d4e$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Something's broken on your setup. I can move my fence around all day long and if I set it to cut 3" it will always be +/- .002. Move the fence in until the blade ticks against it when turning it by hand, set everything to zero and you're good to go. The days of having a tape sitting around in the way on the table saw are gone.

Sure it does. If I cut a 1/4" groove using a router with some runout and the bit isn't exactly 1/4", I simply measure the existing groove and set the fence to the matching size, less a few thousanths. The point is *if* the groove was say .260" with the sloppy router and bit, I *can easily* cut a matching strip to fit with far more precision than 1/64".

Larry

Reply to
Larry

---------------------------------- My parents built a house in the middle of a 2 acre woods in 1947.

The house setting required the electric utility to set a pole about

20-30 feet from the house and pull a service.

The contractor wouldn't start to work until electric was available (Dad should have used an Amish contractor).

As June 1 came and went without power being pulled, my dad took a day off the road (he was an outside salesman) and drove the 20-30 miles to the utility office.

He entered the utility office, the receptionist asked how they cloud help my dad.

My dad asked if she could tell him who in the place took the most baths?

Puzzled, the receptionist asked why he wanted to know.

Dad replied, "Mame, if I have to kiss somebody's ass to get some electricity pulled, I want to kiss the cleanest one."

Next day, utility was setting a pole.

Day after that, contractor started work.

We barely made moving in before New Year's day, but we did it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The granary/elevator, house and barn here were all built prior to 1920 and all except the elevator (which was first building on the place beginning in 1914 and predates the old Delco WindCharger as well) show signs of power tools. Most was hand work, of course, but tools were in use besides. The most obvious was in the shaping work in finish work where obviously there was a shaper in use.

--

Reply to
dpb

A friends of mine built his first house with a chainsaw and hammer.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My maternal grandfather owned a sawmill and had a shop on his farm, between Eunice and Basile, LA ... anyone familiar with rural LA in this time period (mid to late 40's and into the early 50's) will not be surprised to know that it was routine to see fifty or so teams and buggy's in front of the church on a Sunday morning. Hell, they were lucky to have gravel roads, much less electricity, into the late 40's.

My grandfather felled the trees, cut and dried the lumber and built the farm house, the outbuildings, the shop and all the furniture in the house from oak and hog pecan on his land. His shop, a place I spent a considerable amount of time in as a youngster playing, and working doing minor woodworking chores for him, did not have a single electric tool in it. I learned to use a hand saw to rip at the age of six ... wrote a story about that that was posted here a few years back called "A gloat of magical proportions".

I would give anything to have him come sit in _my_ shop for just ten minutes and see how much things have changed in that time.

Age based perspective colors a lot of attitudes and opinions about woodworking, to say the least. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Well we lived in a cardboard box in the middle of the road....

DGDevin

I'm not surprised in the least (after some of the places I stayed in the Army) You do what you gotta do ... :)

AAMOF, I once had a "house" built, in Papua New Guinea, for 12 pounds AUS and a carton of Marlboro cigarettes, and without a nail in it ... but that's a different story. :)

Reply to
Swingman