rough cut

Page 4 of 5
On 2/5/11 1:09 PM, Swingman wrote:

A friends of mine built his first house with a chainsaw and hammer.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Well we lived in a cardboard box in the middle of the road....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

On 2/5/2011 5:14 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm not surprised in the least (after some of the places I stayed in the Army) You do what you gotta do ... :)
AAMOF, I once had a "house" built, in Papua New Guinea, for 12 pounds AUS and a carton of Marlboro cigarettes, and without a nail in it ... but that's a different story. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/5/11 5:35 PM, Swingman wrote:

Having recently used a chainsaw for the first time, I'm much less in awe of those chainsaw sculpture guys at the fair. It didn't take long at all to get very accurate with the thing.
--

-MIKE-

What a crock.... A power tool conspiracy???

Damn. And all this time I thought it was all about efficiency.
Max

Yes, of course. Efficiency to hire cheaper and fewer people. That's where sabotage comes from.
Whenever a new technology increases efficiency, it starts out expensive and the proletariat only get to play with it when it gets cheap enough. ;)

True. Power tools do not make a man less of a craftsman, it just makes him more efficient.

...AND more accurate if he knows what he's doing.

You know... I think I can make a serious mistake with a hand tool just as fast as I do with a power tool. Maybe there's a lower limit to the efficiency/accuracy measurement. :-)
Puckdropper

More accurate? Elaborate please. Unless, of course, you're talking about woodworking accuracy beyond a few thousandths. If you're talking about four decimal places, then that's a waste of time and not efficient.

Take exactly 1/4" off the side of a 2 x 6 it is the 1/4" strip I am after.
Handsaw vs circular saw and fence...

Okay, but where? Doing it on a roof? On a job site without power?
Try this one: Piecing together some 1x stock to make a solid wood back for a cabinet with T&G.
Stanley 48 vs whatever you want to use. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan7.htm#num48
Oh, I forgot to ask - do we include tool cost in the efficiency calculations?
This is fun! ;)
On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:10:46 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

I'd suggest that any accuracy beyond 1/64" is wishful thinking. And for a lot of us that ought to be 1/32". And neither lasts past the first humidity change :-).

In a lot of cases you are absolutely correct. However, if I route a 1/4" groove with the intent of inlaying a border for example, I sure as hell am not going to accept a tolerance of 1/32".
I cannot even come close to listing all of the benefits of the Incra fence setup that I purchased. I went over to a buddy's house and helped him on a weekend project about 6 months back. I actually went the entire day without using a tape measure on his table saw. Repeatable accuracy of a couple of thousandths is very easy to obtain. Needless to say I was sold.
Larry
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 03:35:37 +0000, Larry wrote:

I've got the original IncraJig to which I added a fence. You're right, repeatable accuracy is excellent. But there's a big difference between that and absolute accuracy. For example, I could rip 2 different boards to 3" wide and move and restore the fence between each one using the Incra. All 3 boards would be very close to the same width - as you say, a few thousandths. But how close they were to 3" is still dependent on my original setup -that's where the 1/64" comes in.
OTOH, your 1/4" groove for inlay is only dependent on the diameter of the router bit and the runout on the router. Measurement doesn't enter into it.

Something's broken on your setup. I can move my fence around all day long and if I set it to cut 3" it will always be +/- .002. Move the fence in until the blade ticks against it when turning it by hand, set everything to zero and you're good to go. The days of having a tape sitting around in the way on the table saw are gone.

Sure it does. If I cut a 1/4" groove using a router with some runout and the bit isn't exactly 1/4", I simply measure the existing groove and set the fence to the matching size, less a few thousanths. The point is *if* the groove was say .260" with the sloppy router and bit, I *can easily* cut a matching strip to fit with far more precision than 1/64".
Larry

I agree with that for the most part. Let's try the converse: Power tools do not make a man more of a craftsman. Do you agree with that as well?

Yes, just as learning to use his hand tools with more skill would make him more efficient.
Nobody and nothing has a lock on efficiency. How many times have you walked into an inefficiently set up shop that's brimming with the latest and greatest tools? How many times have you seen a skilled person doing something in an inefficient way?

Umm, more like an industrial age one...and this I'm telling to the resident CNC guy.
Could you carve that Celtic Cross on that sign you made?

vI saw Klausz cut a drawer at a local woodworking club meeting. The

At last year's Woodworkers Showcase in Saratoga Springs, NY I used a 22" 12 pt Sandvik crosscut saw, marking gauge, pencil, 1/2" chisel, and my eyes to layout and cut dovetails during my presentation... My core topic was how to use reference surfaces and edges to guide your work (e.g., bench top, edge of board). In dovetailing, once you understand the relationships of the parts and cuts the tools used become secondary.
John
PS. this year's show is the last weekend of March. I'm doing a presentation on scrub planes.