Recommendation for Attic Ladders?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a well insulated wood attic ladder that uses very sturdy and deep steps? I'm looking for about a 6 inch depth.

I'm looking for something similar to the Bessler Model 100, but in a design that folds in half instead of the entire ladder sliding up.

A sliding ladder seems like a real safety hazard if it slides down too rapidly.

I can see your point but I had a sliding type for years with no problem. My kid and wife used it without incident.

Reply to
CW

Unless you pay $$$$, , you probably won't find steps more than 4" deep. Three section folding ladders are much more common than two section.

Sliding ladders are usually heavier than folding ladders and require having a space twice the length of the ladder - one ladder lelngth in the house, one ladder length in the attic. That's one reason folding ladders are more common. It's also easier to insulate a folding ladder - it just needs an attic-mounted box that fits over the folded ladder sections.

I've lived in houses with folding and sliding attic ladders and would choose a *good* foldng ladder any time - d=be aware that ther are a lot of cheap folding ladders that give with every step.

John

Reply to
news

Willing to spend about $600 to find a very beefy ladder with deeper steps.

Same for me.

I have a friend who broke his foot with a sliding ladder. The cable mechanism failed and the ladder ran down and slammed into his foot. I don't need the liability.