Getting Irwin Record WW Vises in US

This looks like a pretty nice vise:

Irwin Record 53ED Woodworking Vice 10.1/2in with Quick Release & Dog

How come they can't ship them to the U.S.A.? Irwin seems to sell plenty of other stuff in the USA. Can anyone share any insight on the issue?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I believe Irwin no longer makes woodworking vises, at least in the size you're inquiring about. They haven't for a number of years. The best they have now is an insubstantial 6.1/2" model.

Upscale

Bill

Following up to my own post, Lee Valley seems to offer vises that look the same. I expect if they are good enough for Lee Valley, they are likely to be good enough for me...

Bill

websites. And yes, Lee Valley would be my first source for vises tool. Luckily, I've got an older 12" Irwin vise (which weighs about 60 lbs) that I've had for quite a few years. It doesn't have a bench dog, but there's ways to get around that.

Reply to
Upscale

Irwin closed Record and the vices are no longer made. If you're seeing them, it's the last of the old stock.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That is not the same, since the Record requires you to release the half nut using a lever, while this type is more similar to the Jorgensen, which requires you to back off on the pressure.

I like loosening to release. I had used this type of vice many years ago in school.

My current 3 vises are not quick release. I have to turn them all. Not a problem for me.

Reply to
tiredofspam