Rough Cut

New show on PBS looks pretty good so far. Log to furniture in one show. He uses hand tools as well as power.
His favorite tools so far are a marking gauge, hand plane, chisel and chalk.

This is the only thing I could find on that show. http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/news/article_1560131.php/PBS-brings-Rough-Cut-Woodworking-with-Tommy-Mac-in-fall-2010
Odd, but pbs.org doesn't have a listing for it on their web site.

Okay, I finally found it. http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/rough-cut-woodworking / Pretty ridiculous that Yahoo TV doesn't turn up a result when you search, even though the show is on with the week. It's on WLIW for LI, NY at 10 am on Saturdays.
his favorite word seems to be "sweet" and his assistant is not quite ready for TV. He leaves a lot out and talks too fast but it is better than nothing!
Len

Our local affiliate doesn't carry it. I've written, asking them to consider it.
In July, I spent an afternoon with Tommy and Eli, in their shop.
I think they show ALL the promise in the world -- great credentials, great enthusiasm, great portfolio of projects.
They're new, though ... to being on-camera.
The job of their producer (a good one, I understand) will be to help them with the 'telegenic' stuff, and get their delivery well polished.
I'd hate to have to wait for "DVDs of season 1" -- or whatever -- to catch them. I guess I'm surprised that ... apparently ... so few affiliates HAVE chosen to pick them up.
On 10/04/10 3:03 PM, Neil Brooks wrote:

WGBH in Boston is picking them up starting next weekend, looks like he got Norm's old spot just before TOH and ATOH on Saturday afternoons.
Means I will be able to get it here in Toronto, as I actually have the Boston and Seattle PBS stations.
--
Froz...

Just saw his first (?) show last night. Only one PBS station in this area (we get 4!) decided to carry it.
Like the log to furniture idea, though not every time. He's very excitable - unlike the master - Norm - about what he is doing. I didn't get a sense of instruction that Norm took. To me, it was "ok here's what I'm going to do, you could do it too".
I like the simple tools - chisel, marking gauge, table saw, jointer. No huge planner or Timesaver sander. The whole subtext of using trees that fell down in a yard or property was good - Norm always highlighted reclaimed lumber.
His vocabulary is limited. "Sweet" is a favorite word.
The guy is young, athletic looking and probably the wife will want to watch him. Perhaps that's the point.
MJ

Another good article:
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2010/10/05/canton_woodworker_tommy_macdonald_prides_himself_on_being_a_regular_guy_of_course_not_every_guy_has_his_own_show_on_pbs/?page=1
In all seriousness, they're welcoming constructive criticism:
http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=108
Wish my local PBS affiliate would pick it up. "Trying to find a slot for it," was the last I heard.

I expected that if he ended just one more sentence with "Eli," his assistant would brain him with a jack plane.
I agree it shows a lot of promise. The first show, of course, looked like a first show.
The one article I recall reading said that they are hoping that he/they catch the interest of a younger DIY viewership. I don't know if that is the explanation for his frenetic demonstration style. I hope that gets a bit smoother. But that's just the viewing preferences of an old man.
I know you have to rush some to get a project into ~20 minutes. But even Carter Can (MDF filled fluff that it is) has an easier pace for the viewer. I assume that it is difficult to strike that balance.
--
Drew Lawson

". . . And I never give a reason"