Rosewood finishing hassle...?

Howdy,
I am having a difficulty finishing a piece of Brazilian rosewood using methods that have been successful in the past.
Here's the situation:
I am restoring some old (typically 100 year+) leather-working tools.
Many have handles of Brazilian rosewood.
I've been sanding them lightly, swabbing them with acetone until they no longer produce color, and then oiling them (with Maloof Satin-Oil followed by his Oil-Wax finish.)
Most come out of that process looking beautiful.
One however, is not fitting the pattern:
When I apply the first coat of oil, rub it for a few minutes, and wipe it off, the handle looks beautiful but with the modest color I expect after the first coat. I wait 24 hours, and then apply coat #2. It looks fine while moist, and looks fine when I wipe it off.
Later however, as the oil is starting to polymerize, it develops dull streaks that are clearly based on the grain pattern of the wood.
I am baffled (most particularly because there are no such streaks visible after coat #1) and would certainly welcome any suggestions about a better way to approach this.
Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

oily woods like that and cocobolo can do that. hit it with a coat or tow of shellac and the problem will be taken care of. as long as you have some form of poly in there it will be a problem. oil and wax alone would work.
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:17:35 -0700, Steve knight

Hi Steve,
Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth