rolling lumber cart (not sheetgoods) design

I made a modified version of this for sheetgoods

wanted to optimize space, so I used 1/2" conduit for the bars, stood all my end 2x's on edge and put one hole out on the 8' 2x,and lined up a pair of 2x's to support the wheels which I put in about 20" from each end. Time will tell if that all works out. The dimensions are

2' x 8, which has the same capacity as the one in the link above. I did not want to take up any more space than necessary.

Next I'm onto a rolling version of a lumber cart. I was thinking to make 4 - 2'x8' platforms from 2x4s, and hold them all vertically in place with 4 2x4's uprights with dados cut out for the platforms (3.5" wide dado). The dados should give it ridgidity and a single bolt or pair of bolts would hold the platforms to the upgrights. So basically

4 platforms held together by 4 legs. To the bottom platform I'd bolt 4 heavy duty casters. If I seperate the platforms 16" apart that means each could hold 24" x 96" x 16" of lumber. Assuming I just keep the top open for sorting, I'd have 3 "bays". That's about 64 cubit feet of lumber storage. Oak is about 50 lbs / cu ft, so completely maxed-out that would be 3200 lbs. But that's ridiculous, so figure 50% or about 1600 lbs.

Is that even reasonable for what I'm describing?

Reply to
kansascats

Here's a sketchup photo of the rolling lumber cart I built:

the actual cart:

thing hold an amazing amount of lumber and takes care of 4x9 sheets of ply, 8' lumber, and a ton of cut offs that were always in the way.

The cart is easy to build, and cheap. I used OSB for the sides. Proper planing results in about zero waste. It is heavy so don't skimp on the wheels like I did. I put 2 wheels in the middle, and one on each end, rather than one on each corner. The base is 3/4 x 8' x 32" ply. You can pretty much figure out everything else from that using sketchup.

This cart exceeded my expectations and I should have built it 35 years ago...

Reply to
Jack Stein

The picture and the Internet site it was posted on didn't exist 35 years ago. The least you could do is acknowledge the person who originally designed it.

Reply to
Upscale

Yeah, I saw that cart also, and was just about to build it when I stumbled across the one I posted. I liked it better for sheet goods and I liked the my compressed 24" width vs 32". The one I tried to describe would be more open so I could see the lumber without having to pull it out.

Reply to
kansascats

Here is a sketchup of what I"m thinking

the bottom, add a osb panel to the frame and add some heavy dury rollers.

Reply to
kansascats

Reply to
tiredofspam

corner of sheet goods, unless one slides them perfectly parallel.

I would want a solid sheet base, so panels could slide all the way in without the potential of catching. Also, some softer sheets, like foam core or partial board can dent on those 2x's, when resting like that for a while.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I made something similar as a recyling center/work area.

I put 2x4 in the corners, in the back the the 4" side of the wood was paralel to the front edge of the unit, and the 4" side of the front pieces was perpendicular to the front edge.

I then used 2X2 as stringers between the ends. Each joint was made with a partial half lap. (Lap cut into only one piece of the joint.)

Once the stringer were screewed into place the half laps provide the bracing to make a stable unit that could be finished to your needs.

I used the same technique to put in the slats that made the shelves.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Will it hold 1600-2000 pounds (see my capacity comments in the OP) ?

Reply to
kansascats

Reply to
Steve

I said I built it, I didn't say I thought up the design. The pictures I posted were of the one I built. This design is everywhere on the internet and it is a super design that stores sheet goods, lumber and cut offs in a neat efficient manner. I recommend this design to the guy that asked because I built it and I know it is a great design, to you, I recommend you kiss my ass.

Reply to
Jack Stein

The superfluous apostrophe is causing your sig line to drip with irony.

Reply to
Steve Turner

than average.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Sorry bout that. Fortunately for those hopelessly confused by the superfluous apostrophe, I posted a link to clarify the issue some...

Well, I better add this link to further clarify:

Jack Stein