Hoop rolling

My father in law and I are thinking of making a car turntable. One potnetial design involves a hoop of 2" steel pipe running on wheels set into the ground.

Any idea how much it'd cost to get the hoop bent - and what's the technical term for it so I can go googling?

Reply to
Guy King

========================= I think it's called 'section bending'.

I doubt if you'd really need to have a hoop because you can place wheels at regular spacings on a square (or star shape etc.) and it will rotate around a central axle. It depends on what you use as the circular base and the type of wheels / castors you use.

Have a look at this for a miniature version:

Cicero

The message from "Cicero" contains these words:

It was the hoop I wanted to use as the track. I was planning on burying wheel-carriers in the ground and welding the turntable to the hoop. The reason behind the hoop was strength.

Reply to
Guy King

haven't used them for a couple of years but they were good.

Don't approach them with a vague idea, be ready to tell them specifically what you want out of them and they hit the ground running.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

The message from AJH contains these words:

Reply to
Guy King