Rocky 30 Trim Router - 3/8" Collet?

I bought a 3/8 collet for my big Milwaukee in my router table for the express purpose of using 3/8" milling bits. I've broken enough $$$ 1/2" shank, 3/8" spiral cut router bits to appreciate inexpensive and damn sharp HSS milling bits.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

ting at 400 bits) of assorted bits, from one of the auction sites. Among them were 3/8" shank bits router bits and I suppose CNC router bits.

are clockwise spin and the orange ones are counter-clockwise spin. Their tips are either flat or pointed. There are some straight bits and spiral ones. None seem to be very long, mostly short, and there are no profile b its. About the only time I've used these 3/8" bits are for hogging out a h ole, of some sort, using a hand held drill, as I don't have a 3/8" collet f or my routers. There are several 3/8" collets in the cache, but they are probably for a CNC router. I wouldn't try to install them in any hand hel d router.

s. Their cut is about 3/8" wide, also. I have lots of them, so I can th row in some of these, as well.

to cedarsonny at aye oh el dot com and I'll send some.

Thanks! I may take you up on that offer. Let me play with the router a bit and see how I do with what I have.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks for the link!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry, I meant to answer "why a third" with, "like 8mm?" 3/8" is a forth. ;-)

Wouldn't there have to be some sort of cutter over the end?

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip&trim*

The ones I've seen that weren't center cutting (and this by far does not represent any meaningful percentage of the ones out there) were sharp on the ends to the point where the 4 flutes came together. At that point, it wasn't sharp. Those EMs could be ramped down into the work, but couldn't be plunged.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have used a flat bottom end mill, 4 flute, and only used it in a plunge situation. I had it mounted in the router table router and I plynged the wood down on top of the spinning bit. When it penetrated the top side of the Ipe a small hot disk came flying out.

I often wished I had one that was pointed on the end to make penetration a bit easier.

Reply to
Leon

I was wondering how those worked. IOW, they don't plunge (they aren't a drill).

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, that's the difference between "center cutting" and "non-center cutting". The non-center cutting are designed to cut on the side of the mill - the workpiece is moved under the cutter from the side, as if you were cutting a groove or rabbet. The center cutting type are designed to cut on the side or end, so they can be plunged into the work and then the workpiece moved (e.g. for a stopped groove).

If I remember correctly (unfortunately my machinist friend passed away earlier this year, so I can't ask him) the non- end cutting mills clear chips better, so can cut faster in a production setting. Which is why both kinds exist.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

A four flute always has a cutting edge in contact with the material, not necessarily with a 2 flute. So a chattering cut, may require a four flute to calm the cut down.

Reply to
woodchucker