Reversing direction on bandsaw motor

I just went to change the wiring on my band saw motor that was previously 220V, but I no longer have access to 220V outlet. I have the wiring diagram from inside the cover so switching to 110V was no problem, it's just that the motor runs the wrong direction now. I wanted to double check with some of you before I swap wires to reverse it. The information on the motor is:

Y.E.S. Induction Motor

1 1/2 HP KW 1.1 110/220 Poles 4 HZ 60 RPM 1720 Amp 18/9 Heat 60' Phase 1

Wiring diagram shows wires 1, 3, 5 all tied to one lead from the cord,

2, 4, 6 all tied to the other lead from the cord, not specifying which bundle should go to white/black wires in the cord. I assume I just swap the entire bundles to the opposite wires from the cord to reverse direction. But the thing that made me nervous was that it also says "5 & 6 exchange" at the bottom of the wiring diagram, so do I only swap those two wires, so now 1, 3, 6 are tied together and 2, 4, 5?

That doesn't seem right to me, but I did notice that when it was wired up to 220V only the 5 & 6 wires were different from the diagram. I'm guessing that swapping just 5 & 6 only applies to the 220 wiring when there are two hots coming in, and that I should just do what I thought and keep 1, 3, 5 together and swap to the other lead on the cord. Figured I'd double check with the electrical gurus here before I took the chance of frying my motor.

Thanks in advance, D.

Reply to
DBailey

If it helps, the wiring diagram for 220V shows

2, 6 to one lead from the cord 1 to the other lead from the cord 3,4,5 tied together to nothing.

In my case, 5 and 6 were swapped while wired for 220 V.

Thanks, D.

Reply to
DBailey

Can you post the 120V connections?

The above numbering confuses me,

Normally you exchange the T5 & T8 wires, but you don't seem to have those numbers,

All you will need to do is exchange 2 wires.

Have you looked at the nameplate?

It should give you a connection diagram for both CW & CCW.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That was all I had for the 120 V wiring diagram.

1 2 | | 3 4 | | 5 6 | | | | \/ \/

There is no diagram specific to CW or CCW, just the note about "5 & 6 exchange".

The wiring diagram doesn't even specify what 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 should be connected to, black or white on the cord. The 240 volt diagram it didn't matter because both the black and white leads of the cord are hot, so that's why I was assuming I could just swap the complete bundles 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 to the opposite cord leads, rather than just swap 5 and 6.

D.

Reply to
DBailey

Given the note, that's what you do.

Doesn't make any difference.

The windings are insulated from the stator as well as the housing.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sorry, I just want to make sure I know what you meant by "Given the note, that's what you do". Are you saying that I should go ahead and swap just the 5 & 6 wires, so my bundles are now 1,3,6 and 2,4,5, and it doesn't matter which leads I connect them to on the cord, black or white?

Thanks, D.

Reply to
DBailey