Replacing bandsaw motor

I have a Delta 28-203 bandsaw with a 3/4 HP motor in it. What is involved in upgrading to a 1 or 1.5 HP 1725RM motor? Can I just take the pulley off of the old one and put on the new one? Any recommended motors? Cheers

Reply to
opalko

-------------------------------- As long as you keep the same motor frame size, you will have no problems since the mounting feet bolt pattern will remain the same.

You probably have a 56 frame which will have a 5/8" shaft.

Just make sure you have physical clearance between saw frame and fan end of motor.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes and no. You need a motor with the same frame size for the pulley to fit or you need a new pulley with the dame diameter but bore to fit the new motor. The new motor has to fit the mount also. If you have a 56 frame, get another 56 frame. Be sure you have the wiring to support the larger load also. You can find a lot of information at the Grainger web site.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
opalko

=A0What is

Dukes

If possible go to 220volts so the wiring will not have be upgraded. And with going to 220 you will need a new switch that breaks both legs of the power. Home Depot now sells motor rated switches.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Going to a 1.5HP means I have to replace the wiring? Not sure I follow..

Reply to
opalko

Dukes..

Twice the current.

I/you can almost bet that the present wiring is just enough for

3/4HP. Going to 220Volts will negate this if the voltage rating of the wiring is enough - which I would assume it is. Probably 300 or 600 volt insulation.

Lots of things to think about. What size is the wiring now? Including the cord.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ