Bandsaw Motor Question

My bandsaw has a 1 hp 110/220 TEFC motor, wired for 220 v. While sawing this morning it suddenly bogged down while cutting. Now it starts a little slower, runs a little slower and has hardly any power. The blade wheels turn easily when the motor is off. Does this sound like the internal switch not working or the windings need checking? Or even the capacitor?

Reply to
G Ross

Check the capacitor(s). Probably the run capacitor.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

I don't know how your motor is wired but in my table saw motor there is a contact switch that occasionally need cleans. If enough dirt gets in the contact the motor will not run.

That is why I vacuum my motor after every use.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

This one is totally enclosed. (TEFC) Nothing to vacuum. But it may have an internal switch. I will look at the capacitor, but Not going to bust the motor open.

Reply to
G Ross

It is easy. There are two or four screws that hold the motor together. Removing this usually separates the motor into four parts. Both end housing with the bearings for the armature, and the center section with the magnets. Usually you can get to the area of the capacitor, and switches by removing the cover over the switches.

If the motor has never been worked on and it is of any age, I would atleast remove the cover over the capactor and wire connection and vacuum it out.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Could be bearings going.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm betting on the capacitor.

Reply to
krw

i am lazy so i would check the easiest things to check first

electrical outlet the plug the on off switch etc

then think about the motor

would expect bearings to make noise if failing

compressed air and vacuuming can do wonders

Reply to
Electric Comet

Do you even read posts before responding?

Just what is he going to vacuum?

Reply to
krw

Confession time. I assumed it was a TEFC because it looks like my other motors that ARE. Last evening I opened the connection box on the side, the wires looked fine. To take the cover off the capacitor I had to remove the fan cover to get at one screw. To my amazement the whole end of the motor is open beneath the fan. So I blew it out and there was no dust inside. I could not see the contacts but the centrifugal part looked good and moved ok. The capacitor looked good, but that means nothing. I would have to drive 50 miles to pick up a capacitor so I will just take the motor to the electrical shop and let them check it out. Thanks for all the responses.

Reply to
G Ross

Have you reset the breaker / changed the fuses ? Checked the receptacle and switch for loose / burnt wire connection ? ie: simple stuff first. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My $60 voltimeter (Sperry DM-6450) has a "capacitor checker" on it. Maybe something like that would be a worthwhile investment for you? HTH.

If you happen to have a "powered lawn edger", I would be happy to trade with you for the day! : ) I have been debating whether to get the B&D $75 edger, or go the old-fashioned $18 route. The last 2 times I just used a serrated knife. Is the old-fashion way as bad as I remember it from my youth?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Years ago I had a corded B&D edger. The blade had "wings" on the side and would just blow out a trench. My newer one has a gasoline engine and runs much slower and is less useful. The driveway and streets here do not have curbs and are asphalt, so the edges are more tapered and somewhat irregular. After using the "edger" I have to finish off with a string trimmer or a hoe.

Reply to
G Ross

Thanks Mr. Ross. I have regular curbs and concrete. I think I have talked myself into trying the B&D unit based upon the thought that it will almost-surely do a "more presentable" job.

Reply to
Bill

I know many of you have been worried about my bandsaw. I thought I had checked everything (wiring, breakers, switch, etc.). I was about to remove the motor and noticed that the belt was really slack. The tightening slots were maxed out. I went down and bought a new belt and replaced it. I always forget that the lower wheel fastens with a left-hand thread so I tightened it even more trying to loosen it. Then noticed the thread so got it off with an impact wrench to replace the belt. Fired it up and it saws like a new one. As somebody told me, check the little things first.

Reply to
G Ross

Good news on your BS, I assume you fared well through Irma.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Rain (4.7 in) Steady wind but no real gusts. Trees down all over town, but not mine. We were out of power about 7 hr. Lots of pine burrs in my yard and a dump-truck of small limbs. Have about finished cleaning up the yard. Haven't seen any good turning wood, mostly pine, oak and pecan.

Reply to
G Ross

Happy endings make me cry.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ROTFL! Good on you!

Reply to
Leon

wonder if it had the original belt

surprised that the belt stretched

maybe the belt was too tight and stretched that way

did you get a smaller belt for it

Reply to
Electric Comet