Restoring old shop equipment

Probably less expensive to buy a new one if it is a fractional HP.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Now is the time to learn! If you are going to buy a new motor, why not try to refurbish the old one? You might learn something. If you have to buy a new one there is nothing lost if you were going to buy a new one in the first place.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

Yes! It is an easy task to carefully take a motor apart and clean the sawdust and wood chips from the area of the electrical connections. In some motors this can be done by remove a cover.

If you do take it to a shop, comparison shop. I found the small independent shops were more reasonable and less strict in their pricing structure.

At one point I thought my table saw motor had died, but when I took it to a small independent shop the guy basically blew it out and charged me a couple of dollars to take it apart and clean it. (Wood chips had gotten into the electrical contacts and would not allow them to close.)

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Depends on its age. The older the better :-). I've got a 1940s vintage

1hp motor that weights a ton. That thing has torque you wouldn't believe. I've been warned to never, never get rid of it.
Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Just so you know, I did a comparison of my own, last night, between WD-40 and Boeshield Rust Free rust remover.

There is simply no comparison. I was pretty amazed at the Boeshield. I had some spots of surface rust to remove. WD-40 kind of sits on top of it and doesn't really do much but act as a lube and solvent while you scrub. I don't see it doing much beyond acting as a solvent to help the rust soak up into a towel.

I sprayed the Boeshield on and the rust sort of vanished and turned a different color. It lifted off the surface before I could even reach for the scrubbing pad.

I'm going to do some removal on another tool that has a considerable about of rust on it. I'll report on that later.

Again, I'm not trying to be confrontational. But if you ever need to remove a considerable amount of rust, this Boeshield stuff is worth it.

Reply to
-MIKE-