Restoring old wood? ? ?

I try to keep up a very old house. The exterior window sills which are most exposed to the elements have become not exactly spongy, but a little soft -- so that even a fingernail leaves an indention, and they don't hold paint well.

I'm presently repainting them. Is there anything I could do to make the paint hold better?

I am considering putting on several coats of Kilz, practically soaking the wood with an oil-based primer. Will this do any good?

Or is replacement the only choice?

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

Soft wood = rotted wood. You could use one of the penetrating epoxies (such as Git-Rot) to firm it up. Soaking with a primer - or even linseed oil - won't make it any harder.

-- dadiOH ________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

If the wood is rot, then replacement is the best choice. I've removed a sill that appeared to be rotted on one end, but after removal of the sill the (water) damage was much more extensive. After fixing the water leak problem I replaced the sill. A good primer and exterior paint will protect the sill for many years.

Reply to
Phisherman

minwax sells a liquid wood hardener you pour on ,then they and other companies have an epoxy putty that can be used, talk to your paint store, they will direct you

Reply to
mark Ransley

I have kelp up an old Victorian home built in 1917, and I can tell you that once the wood goes soft, read that rots, it's less work and cheaper in the long run to replace the bad wood before the rot spreads to other parts of the structure.

Tom J who is glad sis bought the property! ;-)

Reply to
Tom J

Thanks -- will have a look.

Reply to