Resin that comes from pine

Page 2 of 2

Andy Dingley wrote:

Whoa! You can't say most of the pine available is junk and then say most of it isn't pine. Uhh. Wait a minute, you just did. Spend at least 5 seconds thinking about what you said. That's in the category o. "Taste it again for the first time."
Maybe most pine available today is junk, but it is all pine. Or maybe most wood sold as pine is not pine (not likely true).
In article

If you're talking about construction/fencing grade, much of it here in Canada is sold a "SPF", which stands for "Spruce/Pine/Fir".
djb

Dave Balderstone wrote:

The OP wasn't, at least I hope he wasn't making a pine wardrobe out of fencing or construction grade wood, the former being awful and the latter not normally seen so it doesn't matter what it looks like or what it is since the strength is the only thing that matters. SPF, means they it is a mix and they don't care what it looks like and they probably don't even know what the species are.
Doesn't matter tho, he said pine, so I assume he meant pine. What kind of pine do people buy to make a wardrobe?

Pine also comes graded, all one species, almost like hardwood. Of course you have to pay for the service. "B" select eastern white is a glory to work with, but it's more expensive than maple, though it's not even the highest appearance grade.
Difference is in knowing first, then shopping.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I think that's what he meant. Sort of like the 'oak' furniture K-Mart sells that is made out of rubber wood.
--

FF