resin and turning heart pine

I am building a trestle table out of reclaimed heart pine. The wood for the turned legs has a lot of resin in it - enough that it oozes out on the spur when I chuck the wood up in the lathe and tighten up the tail spur. So, is this blank okay to turn or will I have problems with it? I can already imagine resin coated tools that have to be cleaned up. Will a finish stick to the turnings if it has all this resin?

Thanks.

Reply to
bob

Bob, the blank is fine and hart pine turns very well. Use a skew for most of the finish work and a LOT of sandpaper for the final finishing. I would seal the completed piece with shellac (but then, shellac and wax is my preferred finish). This is a good place to get rid of that cheap sandpaper we have all bought and don't want to admit. :-)

Depending on the resin content, finishing will not be all that bad. A couple of pieces I have turned have finished almost like "normal" wood. It can be a problem, but it does look nice when finished though.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb