rescuing a table surface

Have a much loved low table, which is well made; 'but' it has an imitation wood grain formica top that is now quite worn. It's quite a big table and I have often looked out for a nice thin sheet of wood to lay over the formica, but have never seen anything for sale. (in North London, U.K.).
The Formica seems to have worn in rather an unattractive way, with lots of small patches of matt finish and the rest quite shiny. I'm thinking of sanding the whole thing to get an overall matt finish with a fine grade 'wet and dry' carburundum paper, although I dont know whether this is advisable?
Any other suggestions on what I might do with the formica top? (no rude ones, I know this group is for wood work.... but hey I need help here). Thanks.
JWBH wrote:
> Have a much loved low table, which is well made; 'but' it has an imitation > wood grain formica top that is now quite worn.
<snip>
A heat gun and a 3" spatula are your friends for this one.
Remove the old Formica, sand surface flat and apply a new piece of Formica.
Lew
I believe your problem here is not how to remove the existing Formica and replace it with more Formica. If I also read you correctly, it would be too costly to replace it with some sort of veneer.
I would recommend sanding it with a random orbital sander such as a Dewalt with the 8 holes. You don't need wet or dry paper. Start around 220 grit and finish with 400. Sand off all of the glaze. No matter what you do next to finish it will make it get darker. Stain it if necessary or just apply some sort of polyurathane that will stand the abuse of a table top. I have no idea what you have available in the UK.
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 07:53:41 GMT, "JWBH"

[...]

[...]

Make shiny areas matt: steel wool, fine grade sandpaper, deglosser?
Cover top Hard enamel paint? wood laminate. If you like to look of the table, try going with the paste wax. Better to try and protect/match the worn area than risk sanding through the formica "picture". Text the wax in a small area... not sure how the solvants will interact with formica.
good luck!
--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,