Replacement knives for Delta 22-580 planer

I love my planer but it is time to replace the knives (yes, I already swapped them around once). Are planer blades mostly disposable and really not designed for re-sharpening? Should I just buy new or sharpen the old ones? I was reading some reviews of replacement knives and they weren't very complimentary. Does anyone have a suggestion for me of a good replacement knife set?
TIA.
Dick Snyder
On 3/5/2014 4:39 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Almost all portable planers come with disposable blades. I don't think it would be an economical move to pay to have them sharpened however a number on this group have honed the blades themselves before they got too dull.
Stationary planer blades OTOH typically come with blades that can be resharpened many times.
As far as a replacement set goes I would go back to Delta.
On 3/5/2014 3:45 PM, Leon wrote:

Or you could go here: (Amazon.com product link shortened)94059732&sr=8-3&keywordslta+22-580+knives+blades

this planer for several years and have used it frequently. Delta no longer makes this machine and therefore does not make the blades. What a shame, as the replacement blades sold here are far inferior as those made by Delta. I dont know of any others making these blades, so I am forced to buy them here, or invest in another planer altogether. Mainly do no like these blades because they do not last long. After surfacing about 50 bf of lodgepole pine the planer struggles to keep pace as the blades dull quickly."
I do see that Delta sells a set of two knives for another planer that will also work on mine. I think I will give that a shot
"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I love my planer but it is time to replace the knives (yes, I already swapped them around once). Are planer blades mostly disposable and really not designed for re-sharpening? Should I just buy new or sharpen the old ones? I was reading some reviews of replacement knives and they weren't very complimentary. Does anyone have a suggestion for me of a good replacement knife set?
TIA.
Dick Snyder
I have had mine sharpened by a firm that does my saw blades. Works fine. WW

maybe not the ones still sold by Delta. I will investigate when my woodworking shop goes into summer quite mode.
On 3/6/2014 4:05 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Forrest did an excellent job on my Dewalt blades.
--
Jeff

sharpen anything but their own saw blades.
On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 16:27:48 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

I used Ridge Carbide for both DeWalt and Frued blades. Came back better than new. Never tried them for planer blades
Prices here http://ridgecarbidetool.com/sharpening/
Looks like 75¢ per inch.
New blades are about $45.
On 3/8/2014 4:27 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

They do a nice job...
http://www.forrestblades.com/sharpprice.htm
Planer Knife Sharpening - Carbide - $2.00 per in. of length- HSS - $.80 per in. of length Minimum charge is $5.00
So figure you probably have HSS and it would cost .80 per inch. I had a heavy knick and did not feel like doing it myself, too much work. Figured I give them a try. Their blades are second to none.. so they must do something right.
--
Jeff

indeed have HSS.
Thanks group for your always useful help. I am finishing up a largish project and by then (maybe) we will have spring in the Northeast and I can send the knives off.
Dick