removing old black vanish tht has seeped into wood

Hi...we hired a fairly knowledgeable guy to refinish doors, frames, handrails, etc in our c.1920 home. Some wood had an almost black finish that has turned out to be a nightmare. He has sanded, bleached, sanded again...but traces of the black stuff remain in some parts and he is out of ideas and we're all desperate.

Could anyone suggest what else he could be doing? Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chuckles

This is usually do to water staining. I have tried many things and none of them have worked. I would love to know how to do it myself. It is a common problem on boats.

Reply to
Bill

On 13 Nov 2003 21:05:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@lipid.phys.northwestern.edu (Chuckles) brought forth from the murky depths:

Suggestions:

1) Sand off 1/8" (or more), refinish. NOTE: This could get tricky on hollow-core doors.

or

2) Replace wood, finish properly.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques