Removing an Antique Label

I am restoring an old mantle clock. Is there a way I can remove the instruction label without destroying it?

Reply to
Marty

I've used a single-edge blade scrapper before and it works nicely - if you're careful. Wasn't to successful in putting them back on so they still looked original though. Most likely it was glued on with hide glue.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I am under the impression that in the antique community the words "restore" and "destroy" are close to synonymous when used by someone who is not an expert. You might consult with a professional document conservator who can advise how to unglue a sheet of paper from wood without destroying it. However if the clock has any value beyond the sentimental, i.e. if it's worth any serious money, this sounds like a job for a pro.

Reply to
DGDevin

On 6/16/2009 8:56 AM DGDevin spake thus:

True that.

However, if it's the OP's own clock, I might suggest using steam to remove the label, which as someone else said here may be attached with hide glue, which separates pretty easily with a little moisture. This would be the best way to avoid damaging either the label or the wood.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yep. And after he gets the item refinished, PUT THE LABEL BACK.

I've got a sextant that had a calibration certificate affixed to the interior of the mahogany box in which it was stored. I managed to remove the label (with steam). After sprucing up the box, I put the label back with gum Arabic. The sticker reads: "U.S. Naval Observatory Collimation Certificate" with a hand-written date of "March 13, 1944."

I think the stickers add a bit to the item.

Reply to
HeyBub