I recently bought some Chrome sunken low-voltage lights (not my
preference but the management insisted!). The manufacturer, who shall
remain nameless ( ;o) ), has seen fit to place a clear sticky label on
the 'display' face of each unit. After removing the label the glue
remains, creating an unsightly look. Simple water has no effect.
Anybody got any good tips on how to remove the glue?
BTW: Anyone know the address (email or snailmail) of Ring so I can see
what they have to say for themselves?
I've found meths to remove 80 (?) % but then leave a residue that
further rubbing just spreads about.
I do a *lot* of this at work and have given up alcohol and freon based
solvents in favour of solvents based on D-Limonene which is a cheap
waste product from the Orange Juice industry, essentially a turpentine
from citrus trees. Farnell, RS, and Maplin all have solvents based on
D-Limonene as do the usual proprietory suppliers such as Electrolube.
Servosol do an aerosol called "Label Remover", the can top has a small
brush attached. Works very well on paper based labels - you wet them
with it and leave for a few mins then they peel off clean.
It has a strong citrus smell so could well be based on the same stuff. I
expect that CPC or Maplin will do it.
Since the whole 'team' has made a comment...
It's a bit like the Irish man who said '...to get there you don't want to start
from here...' 
Two things that help.
1) Don't try to pull labels off when the fitting it cold/cool let it warm
2) Pull labels off very slowly (it cost more time to get it off with white
Spirit if you rush it).
 I could not beleive the man actually said this to me - perhaps he was
trying to play 'the part'?
Along with it's "120 miles there and 120 miles back". (I could not imagine
how it could be a very different distance to come back).
Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Didn't have any talc handy but managed with my fingers anyhow (on Ring
chrome low voltage downlighters).
Thank God I'm an atheist
Have you tried baby wipes? They seem to remove most of this stuff.
Problem is that some materials do react to the chemicals (methylated
spirits and stuff) and you may end up with a discoloured area.
I normally rub these things with my thumb and end up with a sore thumb
but it does come off eventually.
First of all, if possible, never ever buy a Ring product again.
Secondly, almost any organic solvent - start with isopropyl alcohol
(winscreen washer) thruch ehanol (gin is good) then petrol, white spirit
and cellulose thinners (xylene/acetone).
These are arranged in what I have found to be strength od dissolving power.
In this case, being glas and metal underneath, I'd go straight for
cellulose solvents. Nail varnish remover may be pulrloined from The
Management, or buy a can of cellulose stuff from bulders merchants, or
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:45:22 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Petrol is a bit smelly and greasy. Lighter fuel is slightly less
smelly and evaporates completely and would be my first call for sticky
label gunk removal. Works well on those labels the sheds stick on
timber without leaving a mark or residue.
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.