Regluing old table

Page 2 of 2

IMHO a better option is to size the dowels ends with the glue you intend to use and then wrap 'em with cotton or silk to the dia required; much like the old TOC bamboo fishing rods. It was a widely used method here in Oz at the turn of the century, I've no idea why it's not more common today. :\
--
- Andy
Andy McArdle wrote:

Never heard of that one here in the US. My suggestions come from a magazine article I read may years ago. I actually used both techniques, the vinegar and dowel thickening, on a certainly "no masterpiece" table that was supposedly made by my great grandfather.
At a show about 8yrs ago I saw a guy who was recommending that you just clamp up the loose joint, cross-drill 1/16th holes through the dowels and inject epoxy. I guess that is literally liquid nails.

I've noticed similar in a couple of my posts; methods that are (or were) common here are almost unknown in the states. Oddly, in other forums UK posters recognise what I'm on about. Must be that we got more convicts than you. ;)
At least it gives a different perspective on some jobs.

The vinegar's a new one to me, although it's something I guess I should've thought of myself. I've used shavings myself when I haven't had thread handy, but I find it a tad awkward to hold in place. For the life of me I don't understand anyone wanting to fill gaps with glue, not even for a wonky non-masterpiece. When I fix something I expect it to /stay/ fixed! <G>
--
- Andy
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:51:17 +1000, "Andy McArdle"

nah, just a different class of convicts. you got petty working class criminals, we got religious nutjobs. guess which group brought woodworking skills with them?
Thank you all for your input to my question. I did not expect so much response or such spirited participation. Pleased to see it stayed friendly. :-) Thanks again.